Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
focusing differences

What are the focusing differences between a K10D and a K-01? My camera club received a donation of Pentax gear recently and they're trying to decide how much it's all worth. One of the lenses is an FA 50mm f2.8. On my K-01, it focuses at infinity, but totally loses it on close stuff. However, on my K10D, the lens seems to work fine. WTH?

Edited to add: Hmmm...okay...maybe this lens has more problems than I thought.

01-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the K10D is using a phase detect AF module... the K-01 uses contrast detect AF from the sensor, so an entirely different AF system.

I'm not sure why the FA50 f/2.8 would have problems on one and not the other. If it's focusing fine on the K10D, I doubt there's a problem with the lens.

EDIT: See this thread from almost four years ago... doesn't specifically mention the FA50 f/2.8, but does mention the f/1.4:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/216535-k-01-fa-50-1-4-hunting.html
01-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
What are the focusing differences between a K10D and a K-01? My camera club received a donation of Pentax gear recently and they're trying to decide how much it's all worth. One of the lenses is an FA 50mm f2.8. On my K-01, it focuses at infinity, but totally loses it on close stuff. However, on my K10D, the lens seems to work fine. WTH?

Edited to add: Hmmm...okay...maybe this lens has more problems than I thought.
Lenses with a long throw struggle in contrast detect autofocus mode, so this is actually not that surprising. You'd get better results with the FA 50mm F1.4.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess I'm going to have to play with this lens a bit more because it seems very inconsistent. I've got the FA100mm f2.8 macro and don't seem to have this problem with it. I think this gear may have been sitting for a long, long time because some of the other lenses have sluggish apertures. Too bad. There's some nice stuff in the kit. Besides this FA 50mm macro, there's an M50mm f1.7, an M 35mm (not sure of the aperture), an ME and an MX, as well as an assortment of 3rd party lenses of the era. Thanks for the replies.