Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

HELP! my K-30 get soaked

My K-30 get soaked in the water when I slipped when shooting at the beach, I know my K-30 is weather sealed but the attached lens is not when it gets soaked. I quickly remove the lens, battery, SD card and dry my K-30 after it get soaked. I also stored the battery in uncooked rice, and when the first time I open my K-30 there's green light flashing in the front but it's not turning on, I remove the battery and try opening it again and nothing happens. Is there a chance for my K-30 to be used again? Thanks.

01-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear about your camera. Very hard for us to say whether your camera is " dead or alive." Probably only a service center can tell you for sure if it can be repaired. Good luck.
01-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'd remove the battery, lens, open all the little doors, and leave the camera open (but face down so dust does not collect on the mirror or shutter) where it can dry out for several days or a week.
01-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera may simply need a little more time. Keep it in a bowl of rice and check back in a few days. Good luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Rice is good.

Also try colour changing silicon gel. Place in a sealed bag to maximise moisture absorption from the camera itself. Once the silicon turns pink you put the silicon in the oven @ 90 degrees celsius for an hour or two (MINUS the CAMERA), then cool then put back into the bag. Repeat until the silicon no longer turns pink. Only then try the camera with battery inserted.
01-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Your profiles lists the Philippines as your location. I imagine it is rather humid to begin with. Drying out will take a lot longer as the rice might be somewhat saturated to begin with. You may be able to buy disposable dehumidifier packs The ones they sell in the US have some desiccant that turns into a liquid as it absorbs water so are not reusable. They have a reservoir on the bottom to collect the liquid.
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Did you put the SD card in? The camera will not turn on without it.

01-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Is that so? My K-30 turns on without an SD card.
01-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

Not True

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I just pulled my K20D off of the shelf and verified that it turned on. It does not have a SD card installed, your statement is false.
01-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to tell you this but even if it lights up again the salt will finish it off in a year or so. Any way good luck.
01-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'd remove the battery, lens, open all the little doors, and leave the camera open (but face down so dust does not collect on the mirror or shutter) where it can dry out for several days or a week.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera may simply need a little more time. Keep it in a bowl of rice and check back in a few days. Good luck!
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Rice is good.

Also try colour changing silicon gel. Place in a sealed bag to maximise moisture absorption from the camera itself. Once the silicon turns pink you put the silicon in the oven @ 90 degrees celsius for an hour or two (MINUS the CAMERA), then cool then put back into the bag. Repeat until the silicon no longer turns pink. Only then try the camera with battery inserted.
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If the camera fell in salt water, then it would probably be a good idea to rinse everything off with distilled water before drying, or you are likely to get all kinds of corrosion to metal parts. If there is dried salt in the mirror box, gently swab it away with a microfiber dipped in distilled water.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Your profiles lists the Philippines as your location. I imagine it is rather humid to begin with. Drying out will take a lot longer as the rice might be somewhat saturated to begin with. You may be able to buy disposable dehumidifier packs The ones they sell in the US have some desiccant that turns into a liquid as it absorbs water so are not reusable. They have a reservoir on the bottom to collect the liquid.
Thanks I'll try all your suggestions,hope my K-30 works again. I forgot to mention how can I remove the moist/droplets in the lens?, thanks again.
01-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzxalvin Quote
Thanks I'll try all your suggestions,hope my K-30 works again. I forgot to mention how can I remove the moist/droplets in the lens?, thanks again.
you have to rebuild that lens that's how.Maybe dcshooter can help you
01-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzxalvin Quote
A little harder if it is WR lens. When the droplets 'dry' it will leave a resdiue of some type. That will be bothersome in taking pictures (it might degrade image quality). The alternative is surgery (to clean the lens).
01-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
you have to rebuild that lens that's how.Maybe dcshooter can help you
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
A little harder if it is WR lens. When the droplets 'dry' it will leave a resdiue of some type. That will be bothersome in taking pictures (it might degrade image quality). The alternative is surgery (to clean the lens).
Thank you.
01-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is that so? My K-30 turns on without an SD card.
Oops. I'm thinking about when the door is open.