Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Updating K3ii - blank screen

Hi, I bought the K3ii about a month ago and am just updating the firmware for the first time. The screen showed "Loading Now" and the next time I looked at it a few minutes later the screen had gone black and there is nothing to tell me how the update is progressing. It has been about 15 minutes now. How long should I wait before I can safely assume that the update is complete and switch the camera off? Thanks for your help.

01-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just go ahead and cycle the power switch. It's likely that you missed the "complete" message and then the camera simply shut itself off. Normally updates only take around 30 seconds to complete

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
UMC

Photos: Gallery
The update process takes safely less than 5 minutes - since you posted this question 19 minutes ago I would say, your camera is either already bricked by now or just waiting for a power-cycle.

Disclaimer: The above mentioned statement is my personal experience, I take no responsibility for consequences arising from carrying out my advice....
01-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
MSF

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just go ahead and cycle the power switch. It's likely that you missed the "complete" message and then the camera simply shut itself off. Normally updates only take around 30 seconds to complete
Thanks to both of you for replying, I'm going to switch it off now.

01-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, let us know if the camera is ok.
01-07-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Giving me PTSD flashbacks to when I bricked my *ist DL on a firmware update a few years ago. I've successfully updated four other cameras since then but it makes me nervous as hell every time I do it. Fresh or fully charged batteries are an absolute 'must'.
01-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You can check your firmware version to see if you processed the update, which sounds like you did.

01-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Giving me PTSD flashbacks to when I bricked my *ist DL on a firmware update a few years ago. I've successfully updated four other cameras since then but it makes me nervous as hell every time I do it. Fresh or fully charged batteries are an absolute 'must'.
Same here. Hosed my K7 once...
01-08-2017, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #9
MSF

Original Poster
Done + Dusted

Hi, Yes, I switched the camera off and checked the firmware and it has updated successfully.and is working normally. Thank you all for your help and concern. In a few months I am leaving on a three month hiking trip so I need everything to be ready and working perfectly, if the camera had been damaged it would have been a disaster!