Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Pentax Zx-50 Help!!!

Hi, I have had this Pentax film camera for a couple years now. I have finally got some film and read the entire manual two times trying to understand how it works. I think I have everything down to the T and I go to take a picture and nothing. The only thing that happens when I press the shutter button fully down is that the camera rotates right and left and tries to zoom on its own. I am pretty sure that the film is loaded right. I am not sure what is going on. Help.

01-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Others here can help more than I, but here are a couple of simple things to try:
1. When you press the shutter button, make sure not to point it at a scene without any contrast/objects, such as the sky or a blank wall.
2. Try another lens if you have one.
01-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
a) Is the frame counter on the top right on number one?
b) Do you have the aperture ring on the lens set to "A"?
c) You say the "camera rotates right and left and tries to zoom on its own". Do you mean that the focus ring on the lens is trying to focus and when it does this the image breathes a bit larger and smaller (vs. actually zooming in and out)?
01-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #4

Sounds like the aperture motor gear failure. The gear is plastic and over the years it deteriorates and fails.

01-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
a) Is the frame counter on the top right on number one?
b) Do you have the aperture ring on the lens set to "A"?
c) You say the "camera rotates right and left and tries to zoom on its own". Do you mean that the focus ring on the lens is trying to focus and when it does this the image breathes a bit larger and smaller (vs. actually zooming in and out)?
Yes there is a 1 for film. The A is set and the front part turns.
01-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
Is there a way if it is deteriorated to make it work manually and not use the easy automatic settings?? I really hate to toss it and not even get a chance to use it. I had my heart set on taking pictures with this thing.
01-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On the front of the camera is an AF/MF switch to go from auto focus to manual focus. Try switching it to MF and see if it will let you manually focus and take the shot.
01-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
On the front of the camera is an AF/MF switch to go from auto focus to manual focus. Try switching it to MF and see if it will let you manually focus and take the shot.
I will try this. Thank you