Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Linux is not a user friendly OS. Installing it is easy enough, but getting your hardware to function properly is dramatic. I am always breaking stuff trying to get something to work.
I don't think any OS is friendly if you have to do much hardware troubleshooting. I've had troubles with Windows and iOS in that realm, and someone's printer either works on MacOS like a dream, or you know you're in for a fun time troubleshooting.

01-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Linux is not a user friendly OS. Installing it is easy enough, but getting your hardware to function properly is dramatic. I am always breaking stuff trying to get something to work.
Mine is plug 'n play all the way. Any hardware I throw at it is recognized without any issues and I have never "broken stuff trying to get something to work". As to being user friendly: my kids grew up with it, my 75-year old mom who swore she'd never touch a computer took to it like a fish to water. My wife uses it for her business and has done so for the last 14 years (she is very PC-averse). How user-friendly does an OS have to be?

You may just have been unlucky with either your PC, your choice of hardware or your choice of Linux distro - that's a bummer!
01-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I've had problems with either too old graphics, no video acceleration even thoug the chip is uvd, or to new, no drivers at all, fan going at hurricane setting. In both cases Windows worked fine and no terminal command line prehistoric crap either.
01-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had problems with either too old graphics, no video acceleration even thoug the chip is uvd, or to new, no drivers at all, fan going at hurricane setting. In both cases Windows worked fine and no terminal command line prehistoric crap either.
Well, I deeply sympathize with your problems. I have to admit to finding the odd "terminal command line prehistoric crap" extremely useful both in Linux as well as in Windows but that of course is a matter of taste. As far as I can remember, my mum didn't particularly like it nor did the wife and kids so they always got by without using terminal command line prehistoric crap.

But hey, if Windows tickles your pickle, who am I to say you're wrong?

01-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

That's the attitude that keeps linux insignicant. With their innate sense of superiority and disdain towards other os'ses. Linux adepts have zero empathy and are really a pain in the behind.
01-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the attitude that keeps linux insignicant. With their innate sense of superiority and disdain towards other os'ses. Linux adepts have zero empathy and are really a pain in the behind.
And you are turning this into a warm demonstration of overflowing empathy by a Windows user, setting THE example are you? That is why you reacted to an OP who had a question about Linux software with such a helpful reply, right? That was because you are absolutely not a "pain in the behind" I'm sure.

Well, good luck and best wishes to you - you'll need it with such a grumpy and negative outlook on life.
01-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #22

I also don't understand this trolling from windows fans. E.g. I wouldn't go asking to photo forum about why my TCP/IP stack disappeared suddenly on windows.
It's clear OP already found solution and the support is available in recent versions of all mentioned photo sw.

01-13-2017, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No point getting into an argument over operating systems.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread