Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
First steps

This is probably the 800th thread like this over the years but everyone's situation is different so here goes.

New to DSLR photography in general but I've been bitten by the bug pretty badly. Was given a used K10D (Shutter count was about 18K I've gotten it up to 20K) and a DA 50mm F1.8 to get started for Christmas. I've been braving cold weather and snow to take pictures with whatever free time I have since then. And at night, I pour over the lens and camera reviews on this site and B&H trying to plan my next moves.

But of course, I could benefit from the expertise of the users on this site. Before I go into what I am considering for my next steps, I should mention that my wife has shot Pentax for years, as has her father, and she has a collection of lenses already. She has a DA 18-55 and a 50-200 (both essentially kit lenses) that I have been experimenting with although about 80% of my shots have been with the 50mm. She also has a lot of legacy lenses that I have experimented with too - but being a novice, I find that I miss the autofocus when I use the older glass. Favorite legacy so far has been a M 28mm.

So I guess my two burning questions are...

1) Is getting a newer camera a higher priority than lenses at this point? My shutter count is relatively low but I feel like even a used K-S2 or something would be a pretty major upgrade at the same cost as a new lens.

2) What lens next? My own thought on the matter is the HD DA 35mm Limited Macro. 50mm is great - I read somewhere that with an APS-C sensor it 'keeps the main thing the main thing' and that has been my experience. I've gotten some nice portraits of my wife and kid with it. I was thinking next I'd want something for either landscapes or macro - and the 35mm Limited seems like it kill two birds with one stone. I have visions of walking in the woods this spring and taking landscapes of the forest and macro shots of wildflowers. It is at the extreme high end of what I was considering spending if that helps. Also considering the 40mm XS or something more wide angle.

Thoughts? And thanks!

01-09-2017, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'd really benefit from upgrading the body. Technology has leaped forward in recent years and you'll enjoy much better image quality, better ergonomics, and faster performance. The K-S2, K-70, or K-3 would all be fine choices.

I'd recommend either the 35mm macro or DA 35mm F2.4, which is quite cheap. Both these lenses will give you a natural "normal" field of view, whereas 50mm is a bit longer and better suited for portraits.

Another future lens option would be the DA 18-135mm, which is a nice all in one lens.

That said, remember that it's the person behind the camera that matters most. Since it sounds like you're enjoying the camera, don't hesitate to use it just because it's old- you'll learn a lot along the way.
01-09-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have the 35mm Limited Macro very good glass and optics. Exceptional in every way and in addition being an awesome close up Macro lens it gives great bokeh. If the price is too step the DA 35 is a good lens too and awesome one for the money.

A 16-85mm is a good lens to consider... Even a little sharper then the 18-135mm which is a good lens as well.

Before you spend a bunch on glass a K3/K3 II or K70 or even KS2 would be excellent for the upgraded ISO capabilities, features etc.
01-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New body is a good idea but just using what you have first and continuing to develop without any real equipment change is my advice. The 18-55 and 50-200 may be kit lenses but if you are shooting at f5.6 or f8 you will see limited differences compared with better lenses. Those manual focus legacy lenses are also a great place to play and learn more.

Personally if I were you I would hold off any purchase for a bit. It is easy to get gear obsessed. Seek out the threads like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html

01-09-2017, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a K10D for eight years until just recently. It is a good camera. Yes the technology has moved on enormously, but the basic camera controls are the same.

If you are new to photography my one bit of advice would be to consider the light you are shooting in as much as your subject. Early mornings and early evenings are times when there are plenty of better things to be doing than photography, but there are no better times to capture a great image.
01-09-2017, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The K10D is still a very viable camera body and has an avid following on this site. I'd suggest you check out the 'K10D Club' thread. Since you're new to DSLR photography, I'd suggest taking the time to get to know it See what you like about it and where it falls short for you. This will help inform your needs when you are ready to upgrade.
01-09-2017, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Photography is a funny hobby -- some people feel they need have the best gear they can afford and other people get the best photographs with "obsolete" gear that still does the job.

Before deciding what to do, I'd ask yourself what is the difference between the images you are taking right now with the K10D + 50 + borrowed lenses versus the images you would like to take? Is the camera keeping you from improving? Are the lenses holding you back?

If you need more resolution, less noise with higher ISO, faster AF, or more features, etc. then get a better body.

If you need a wider angle lens because you can't borrow the 18-55 as often as you'd like or need macro get a DA 35, 35 macro, or something even wider because 35 still pretty narrow for landscapes. (Spend some quality time with the 18-55 to see which focal length really appeals to you -- maybe you'll get the DA 15.)

But if the current setup is not really keeping you from learning photography and improving your image making skills, then stick with what you got but start saving money for even better bodies (e.g., K3) or more expensive lenses (e.g., DA 100 macro, DA 12-24, DA 20-40, etc.).

Finally, maybe you and your wife can find an even nicer lens and each contribute half the money to buy a really great lens now.

01-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I used a K10D for eight years until just recently. It is a good camera. Yes the technology has moved on enormously, but the basic camera controls are the same.

If you are new to photography my one bit of advice would be to consider the light you are shooting in as much as your subject. Early mornings and early evenings are times when there are plenty of better things to be doing than photography, but there are no better times to capture a great image.
Amen to this... My best photos are during that time especially out west on vacation gotta get myself up earlier too though.
01-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

@Saxtonine, what do you like photographing? Landscapes, portraits, wildlife, etc. are different specialties that share some lenses but do best with specific lens characteristics.

Put another way, in what ways do you feel the K10D is limiting you? Any new body will give you better low light if you photograph at night or heavy shadows, better resolution so you can crop and print larger, and better autofocus (faster, more precise). Some bodies will give you more of that than others. If you want to do macro, though, a new lens might be a better upgrade than a new body.

Welcome to the forum. We're a good bunch most of the time. I see your location is PA. Lots of good spots for photography. I frequently visit for camping, hiking, and photography. Philly, Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe, lots of State Parks in the north-central forests - they all have good place for photography. That's mostly the eastern half of the State but I do mean to explore the western half as time permits.
01-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Don't worry about the kit you use; concentrate on the images you make.

Once/if you decide what your main genre will be, then you can think about which lenses will best suit you. If at the same time you see short-comings in the images due to the camera body, you can decide which format and body to go for.
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will just borrow a couple of lines from your original post to support my argument:

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxtonine Quote
.. And at night, I pour over the lens and camera reviews on this site and B&H trying to plan my next moves.

... but being a novice, I find that I miss the autofocus when I use the older glass.
With a newer camera you could be out there at night taking pictures. Newer bodies have live view which might make manual focus easier, at least on non-moving subjects. You already have some lenses and a newer camera would make all of them better.

That leads to another very frequently asked question, which newer camera. That is tricky because they offer features that you haven't used yet, so you can't put a value on those features. Anything with 16Mp or better is worth considering because those cameras will have what I think are the minimum capabilities.
01-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K10D is a fine camera which will give you A3 prints, there is no hurry at all to upgrade, and as the actual control of the camera is very similar to newer bodies, you might as well wait until you really feel the need.
When you eventually do get a newer body, why not keep it for black and white photography.
With the firmware updated, your K10D will autofocus with SDM lenses, everything except the latest 55-300 with the electric diaphragm.
01-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Another Big Vote for use what you've got and learn to shoot. Wanna learn more, put it in manual, that way you'll learn the relationship between Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO.DOF,.............
01-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
First off - thank you to everyone who has responded. I hope you all won't think me an ingrate looking to upgrade this early - I agree that the K10D is a good camera and that it was a generous gift. Even if I upgrade in the next few weeks or months, I would want to keep it and continue shooting with it in some capacity.

For those who are advocating waiting and learning before I upgrade: I concur that I have a lot to learn and although I am shooting and reading about photography daily, I have a long way to go. And there is no reason why that learning process couldn't occur only using the tools at my disposable. But for those times when my new skills 'click' or I get lucky, I wouldn't mind having a nicer image as the result. Would it any way slow my development as a photographer to use a newer camera body?

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
@Saxtonine, what do you like photographing? Landscapes, portraits, wildlife, etc. are different specialties that share some lenses but do best with specific lens characteristics.
My wife and kid are two of my favorite subjects so portraits are important to me. The 50mm is great for that. I'd post an example or two but I'm not too excited about putting images of them all over the internet. The other thing I'd like to get into is forest scenery. I'll attach an image that I took today - and I'll add that I want to try this scene again (it's quite nearby) with better light (it was actively snowing when I took this) a tripod and maybe steal my wife's polarizer.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Welcome to the forum. We're a good bunch most of the time. I see your location is PA. Lots of good spots for photography. I frequently visit for camping, hiking, and photography. Philly, Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe, lots of State Parks in the north-central forests - they all have good place for photography. That's mostly the eastern half of the State but I do mean to explore the western half as time permits.
Thanks! I'm glad to be here. As for PA - I'm a native who has lived in the west for the last 6 years or so and I'm impressed all over again by PA's natural beauty. I am really looking forward to shooting in some of the parks and forests you have mentioned this spring.

---------- Post added 01-10-17 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Thanks! "Considering the light" is something that I'm working on and I think perhaps is making me more observant in general. Now if Mother Nature would cooperate and the sun would come out for more than guest appearance, that would help even more!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Saxtonine; 01-10-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: forgot to attach the picture...
01-10-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxtonine Quote
Now if Mother Nature would cooperate and the sun would come out for more than guest appearance, that would help even more!
Don't neccessarily need the sun for an interesting picture.....