Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Pentax ME - Shutter release button stuck

Hello everyone!

A month ago i bought my first analog camera, a Pentax ME.
Two days ago i went for skiing, and brought my camera along to take some photos.
I took 2 or 3 shots and then the shutter release button got stuck!
I assumed that maybe the cold temperature (-7C) had something to do with that.
Two days have passed and it still doesn't work, so i decided to open up the camera and search on the internet for usefull instructions.
I attach a photo, where i've cirkled the spot that i think that has jammed, according to what i found on internet. I think it's the wind lock.

What do you think? Do you know if it's easy to fix it by my own, or do i need to send the camera to a technician?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images

01-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This situation happened to me on one of my Pentax MEs. What happened was the shutter just quit, worn out from age and a lot of use. I brought it down to a reputable sales/service center that primarily service Pentax products and they confirmed my suspicions. They wanted $275.00 for repairs and it could be more depending on what they find once everything was out in the open. I took it home and the next day I donated it to a friend who loves to tinker, but that is it. He just liked to take things apart and not fix them. I hope your issue is simpler, but that is what happened to my camera.

Tony
01-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't offer specific help, but on occasions like this, I have used a pointed probe to gently prod various levers or cogs. Often one will be rewarded with a sudden release from a stuck mechanism. One can then wick a little lube into the problem with a toothpick.
01-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pfff... i hoped an easy solution would exist! But since i don't have the right tools, maybe it's better to send the camera to a technician. Thank you for your answers

01-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Hi Sandra, I have the same problem with a Pentax MG and your winder assembly looks almost identical. I am currently looking up videos of how to fix it but haven't yet found exactly what I need. I am at the prodding and poking / hope for the best stage at the moment and I have managed to release the mirror as it was stuck in the UP position. You will at the very least need a very fine magnetic screwdiver and maybe a tool to remove that screw in the center of the winding mechanism, mine conveniently has a normal screw in there whereas yours does not.

If I can get this sorted I'll let you know :-)