Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW: I have a variety of Pentax, Wasabi, and DSTE batteries. I find proper care more important than brand. Many aftermarket batteries are sold with an accompanying quick charger. Avoid using these unless necessary: they will degrade your battery life. Better to invest in an additional extra battery and to take the time to charge them in the Pentax charger.

Also, I haven't used the K-70 but do have a K-30. I find that the D-LI109 batteries used in these cameras suffer more in cold weather than do the larger D-LI190 batteries used in the K-3 series (and, I think, the K-5 before it), and not just for the difference in capacity (this is mentioned not so much for your immediate benefit as for your general information should the day come you consider an additional camera). However, my cold weather here in Alaska runs a little colder than yours YMMV

Have fun and enjoy! With four batteries you should be fine!

01-17-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Tips:
* number your batteries somehow (permanent marker or a good sticky label on the end of the battery) and use them in sequence to avoid swapping a dead battery for a deader battery and to keep track of how fast you are using your batteries.
* be religious about having separate compartments of your bag for fresh and old batteries to reduce fumbling
* if the location of the photoshoot has wall power, bring your charger and start charging old batteries as you swap them out
* change batteries when you can rather than waiting until you have to -- if you keep an eye on the charge level, number of shots you've taken, number of hours since you last swapped batteries, you can swap at a smart time and reduce the chance of getting a dead battery at a crucial moment
I agree with all these tips and would add that you should make sure and top of the charge on all the batteries you're taking. They will self-discharge over time just sitting in your bag and there's nothing more frustrating than popping in what you think is a fully charged battery only to find it isn't.
01-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I agree with all these tips and would add that you should make sure and top of the charge on all the batteries you're taking. They will self-discharge over time just sitting in your bag and there's nothing more frustrating than popping in what you think is a fully charged battery only to find it isn't.
Ditto. I would also add write the date of purchase on the battery. I just do month and year.
01-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
We're talking different batteries with different capacities, though. 1860 mAh vs 1100, if I recall correctly.
True. I am talking about the LI90.

01-17-2017, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
True. I am talking about the LI90.
FWIW: I have used the LI90 in my K3 at -28F with only the most minor of performance loss. I was later shocked when using the LI109 in my K30 at -5F that I was having to swap in a warm battery about every 10-15 minutes.
01-18-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #21

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
When capturing Asto (lot's of semi-long exposures), & for say 6-8 hours of darkness in moderate temps, the K5ii would use up two, perhaps three bat's for extended sessions like that.