Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
It just started, so I can't say whether or not it's related to the cold. It started when I used it indoors. I was out shooting today - in below-freezing temperatures - and it was fine. Once indoors, it acted up again.

I really don't want to have to replace it.
It really looks like something is either mechanically loose or you have a cold solder. What suggest this is your relatively cold climate (lots of temp shifts when you go in and out), length of use of the camera and intermittent nature of this problem. Here's a bit about it: Cold Solder Joints: Tracking Down Intermittent Noises And Disappearing Sound

this is fixable, if you are willing to open up a camera, and are willing to solder a bit.

You can look up youtube videos for some techniques:
Basics: How Not to Solder | Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories

It will probably continue working on and off like that for a longer while, but it will be unreliable.

Actually one more thing, it seems that the SD circuit block is on a separate board, at least in Samsung GX10. You could be able to just replace the whole block. See page 196.
File from: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/330056-possi...-card-pcb.html
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72661506/6810689-GX10CSENG.pdf

Last edited by rrstuff; 01-18-2017 at 05:38 PM.
01-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My brother gave me his K-r to clean and fix, and I have sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the card slot. Everything still works fine so I did it with my cameras too.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have a 16GB class 10 SDHC card in my *istDS. This plays just fine with the camera, particularly since the person who sold it to me for a song had at some point been good enough to run the firmware update which enabled HC cards to work. I haven't tried putting an XC card in it yet.

Nevertheless, this is the issue which stops me from automatically running after the first *istD I see - they take Compact Flash cards IIRC, and unlike SD cards, I don't have any old ones with which to update the firmware if that should prove necessary.
I think the CompactFlash spec that the *ist D uses goes up to 512Gb with no firmware update at all, so you should be fine. Sensor is the same so files are the same size as the DS, except the D can write TIFFs which may be bigger. My wife bought me a *ist D when they were $1400 and I returned it because it was way too much; I got the DS for "only" $750.
01-22-2017, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I used compressed air in the card slot, and now, all is working. Here's hoping it was just dust!

And, thanks for all your advice and help!
02-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it happened again. Now what? The compressed air didn't work this time.

02-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another update: I copied all the photos on the card and put it in the camera to format it, so I could download the firmware update. Formatting didn't happen; I just got another "Memory card error" message.
02-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Silly question, and maybe I missed a reply; but have you tried different cards? I had a Sandisk Ultra that worked well, but then would not record/upload from card reader. Got new Extreme cards, and so far, no more problems.
02-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just tried a 16GB card. I got the same error message.

02-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well.

I took it to the authorized Pentax service center today, and the guy told me to get a new one.

He said that the card reader is not in firm contact with the circuit board. I need a new circuit board, but they don't make them anymore, since this is such an old model.

What do all of you suggest? I found a special here (I'm based in Prague, so the page is in Czech, but the specifications are easy enough to understand). Does this look like a good deal, or should I look elsewhere? I already have two film lenses and one digital lens (the digital lens isn't the best, so I went back to using one of my film lenses).

I'm not crazy about the f-stop range of the lenses in the ad above, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
02-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do all of you suggest? I found a special here (I'm based in Prague, so the page is in Czech, but the specifications are easy enough to understand). Does this look like a good deal, or should I look elsewhere?
The K-50 has been discontinued. A KS-2 has a number of new and worthwhile features, and would be better value for around the same money, like this: PENTAX K-S2 ?erno/oran?ový - Digitální zrcadlovka | Alza.cz
02-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm sorry to hear about your camera. Try the Marketplace here on the Forums, there may be some cameras for sale near your country.
02-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well.

I took it to the authorized Pentax service center today, and the guy told me to get a new one.

He said that the card reader is not in firm contact with the circuit board. I need a new circuit board, but they don't make them anymore, since this is such an old model.

What do all of you suggest? I found a special here (I'm based in Prague, so the page is in Czech, but the specifications are easy enough to understand). Does this look like a good deal, or should I look elsewhere? I already have two film lenses and one digital lens (the digital lens isn't the best, so I went back to using one of my film lenses).

I'm not crazy about the f-stop range of the lenses in the ad above, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
""He said that the card reader is not in firm contact with the circuit board. "

Yes, a cold solder like i said from the beginning... it will work on and off. There is a separate board for the card reader, so you might be able to replace just that. See the dropbox link to a service manual for a K10D that lists all the parts.

Last edited by rrstuff; 02-08-2017 at 04:55 PM.
02-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have a K200D. it used to give me problems with certain cheap/slow memory cards, usually if I tried to chimp a shot after shooting a burst ( ie. trying to view a shot while the camera was in the process of writing to the card ). After I started using Sandisk Extreme cards, I never had another issue with memory card errors in that camera. Now, I haven't used that camera in a few years, but that was the status when I last left it.

I would try getting a good quality fast card, not too large ( the older models may not handle really large capacity cards ), and see if there is any issues. Worst case, you have a nice new card to use in whatever camera you buy to replace this one.
02-12-2017, 12:24 AM   #28

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toast..New Cam Time,,,,,,,,,stop fuddling around...UpGrade....