Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is wrong with my camera?

Recently, when shooting, my camera gave me an error message regarding the memory card. I turned it off, then turned it on again, and all seemed well.

Today, when I was shooting, I kept coming up with memory card errors. I turned the camera on and off, and sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. I took the card out, blew into the card holder, put the card back in, and turned the camera on. Again, sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't.

When I took a shot and tried to view it, I got that little hourglass icon. Sometimes the photo loaded, and sometimes it didn't. Sometimes the image didn't save on the card.

Finally, when I turned on the camera, it didn't do anything. I turned it off, then on again, and it worked - but what is the underlying problem?

It's a K10D, and I bought it in 2008.

01-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

First thought is that the memory card needs replacing.

Tony
01-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try another memory card, to see of that could be the problem.
01-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's also worth considering some new memory cards MAY not be ones which the 2008 technology plays well with. Just a thought.
Also, make sure the contacts are clean, it sounds too obvious but may be worth a quick cleaning.

01-18-2017, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

"I blew into the slot..."

Anyone who owned a Nintendo or Atari game system knows that while this trick works short term, eventually you wind up with a nice coating of dried spittle all over your contacts.

Highly non-recommended (use a rocket blower instead, and if you need actual moisture, something needs a proper cleaning).
01-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are many ways it can become corrupted and although it may be a newer card than your K10D can handle (read/write speeds, etc) generally it will still work but not have the benefit of the improved performance.

If you have backed up your photos, the first thing I'd try is to re-format the card with your camera. That will erase all existing files on the card, but generally fixes glitches.
If that doesn't help, then I'd suspect the card is just damaged and I'd replace it.
And if that doesn't help, you may need to do a firmware update on your K10D.
01-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My second-hand K10D (chrissie pressy from unc!) works fine with 32 GB class 10 cards.

Tony

01-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to mention some particulars.

The card is not new. I've been using since last summer.

I tried it with another card, with the same result. The other card was the same memory amount (32GB).

The fact that the camera just didn't work when I turned it on once worries me.
01-18-2017, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like it is time for a new camera. There is an announcement coming up next week...
01-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a 16GB class 10 SDHC card in my *istDS. This plays just fine with the camera, particularly since the person who sold it to me for a song had at some point been good enough to run the firmware update which enabled HC cards to work. I haven't tried putting an XC card in it yet.

Nevertheless, this is the issue which stops me from automatically running after the first *istD I see - they take Compact Flash cards IIRC, and unlike SD cards, I don't have any old ones with which to update the firmware if that should prove necessary.
01-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it happening more when it's cold outside?

I can think of only three things:
- cold solder
- charge buildup
- some lose cable inside

I would bet on a cold solder, given how you describe it. You could try to open the camera and test the cold solder by 'freezing' each connection to the SD reader and see if it loses contact. Once you identify which one is it, you could resolder it. Make sure you have a proper ventilation and that you don't handle the lead without gloves.

Or you could just sell this one to someone who likes to tinker and get a new camera.
01-18-2017, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
The card is not new. I've been using since last summer.

I tried it with another card, with the same result. The other card was the same memory amount (32GB).
Have you tried formatting both of these cards in the camera ?

Tony
01-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It's also worth considering some new memory cards MAY not be ones which the 2008 technology plays well with. Just a thought.
I second this. The K10D was released in 2006. It doesn't support some of the newer or higher-storage cards. I don't use anything higher than a 2GB and 4GB cards in mine.

Make sure your firmware is up-to-date and it may work better with some of the newer cards, but a buddy had challenges with 32GB cards in his K20D, so he now only used 4GB and 8GB cards in his and is problem-free.
01-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It just started, so I can't say whether or not it's related to the cold. It started when I used it indoors. I was out shooting today - in below-freezing temperatures - and it was fine. Once indoors, it acted up again.

I really don't want to have to replace it.
01-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

On my old K10D and K20D I used 512MB, 1GB, 2GB 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB SD cards without issue. In fact the performance of the camera was better with the 32GB SD over the 1 and 2GB SD's. The thing about which SD is best to use is a more a manufacturer and speed issue than just pure size.

Also check to make sure you have the latest firmware update, it does make a difference.