Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #1

K-3 Issue....still

Hi all, I posted before about sigma 24-70 lens issue, but I've recently done more tests with other lenses and the "softness issue" is there amongst them all!!

So that got me thinking...is it my camera??

I'll post up my menu settings, can anyone see if I'm missing something?

I'm trying for family portrait photography, in manual mode, using studio flash. Also, I might like to mention, when I shoot close up (like standing close to subject) it's super sharp, amazing!! As soon as I step away, it's rubbish. Tested on Sigma 24-70mm, a 35mm 1.4 and my 50mm 1.8

I'm trying everything I can before sending it away, because I really can't afford to at the moment.

I really appreciate any help with this, it's been driving me insane for a couple of weeks now.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UMI_SUPER  Photo 
01-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sarahjc Quote
K-3 Issue....still
Can you post a couple of the " soft " photographs with the EXIF data so that the members can see what could be the issue.

EDIT. I just saw your other thread about the 24-70 Sara. Is the lens soft at all focal lengths, or sharp at say 24, but soft at 70 etc?

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 01-19-2017 at 03:49 AM.
01-19-2017, 03:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sure how do I post with the data though?
01-19-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just post some images taken with the lens, without any post processing and the exif data will be there. see the reddish coloured "View picture EXIF" above the images you have already posted.

01-19-2017, 03:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
It's not letting my upload the images again because they are already in another thread I made. Which is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337643-s...0mm-issue.html

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 03:53 AM ----------

Thanks Skodadriver, I see it now. Although it won't let me upload because they're already on another thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337643-s...0mm-issue.html
01-19-2017, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Closed Account

Sure how do I post with the data though?
The EXIF data should be uploaded with the photographs. If your Post Processing has stripped it, basically the members need the f-stop, shutter speed, ISO etc. Also any other info that may help, like hand held or tripod, if tripod was SR disabled. That sort of info.
01-19-2017, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not letting my upload the images again because they are already in another thread I made. Which is here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337643-s...0mm-issue.html

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 03:53 AM ----------

Thanks Skodadriver, I see it now. Although it won't let me upload because they're already on another thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337643-s...0mm-issue.html

Sorry, missed that.

01-19-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
Closed Account

It's not letting my upload the images again because they are already in another thread I made. Which is here: Sigma 24-70mm Issue
That's fine Sara. We can click on that link and view the EXIF on those images. Hopefully one of the members here can pick something up from them, or ask you a few more questions about the way the photographs were taken. Good luck.
01-19-2017, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you!
01-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #10

Your shake reduction is on... If you're using a tripod that would be what's causing it... otherwise need the exif.
01-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hi, I'm not using a tripod, and the exif is here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337643-s...0mm-issue.html
01-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It was suggested in the other thread you try live view to see if the problem would remain. Did you, perchance, try it out to see if the problem existed using live view? If so, what where the results?

I ask as I see you have auto focus fine adjustment turned on and note that you did do some testing from the previous thread. If the focus is good in live view but bad using the optical viewfinder, there is a good chance the lens just needs further calibration to fit the body. If the focus is bad using both methods, the lens is probably in need of calibration its self and should be sent back to Sigma.

With respect to the AF fine adjustment, did you select "apply one" or "apply all"? If apply to all was selected it would throw off the focus of all the other lenses that you have. This may explain the softness of the other lenses that you have, especially if it recently showed up with them.

Its possible, even probable, that all the lenses need to have some sort of fine adjustment. However, if the softness issue just appeared with the other lenses recently, its most likely a settings issue. That being said, it's not an awful idea to check each lens and set the calibration individually (using the apply one setting)... Tedious, yes, worth it, very much so.

Final thought, if you have a camera shop near by that sells Pentax, see if they have some lenses in stock for you to try. If you find those lenses in the shop are tack sharp, you would know your camera is OK and your lenses need work. If they are not tack sharp then its further evidence your camera may need a little work or the settings are causing an issue.
01-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
It was suggested in the other thread you try live view to see if the problem would remain. Did you, perchance, try it out to see if the problem existed using live view? If so, what where the results?

I ask as I see you have auto focus fine adjustment turned on and note that you did do some testing from the previous thread. If the focus is good in live view but bad using the optical viewfinder, there is a good chance the lens just needs further calibration to fit the body. If the focus is bad using both methods, the lens is probably in need of calibration its self and should be sent back to Sigma.

With respect to the AF fine adjustment, did you select "apply one" or "apply all"? If apply to all was selected it would throw off the focus of all the other lenses that you have. This may explain the softness of the other lenses that you have, especially if it recently showed up with them.

Its possible, even probable, that all the lenses need to have some sort of fine adjustment. However, if the softness issue just appeared with the other lenses recently, its most likely a settings issue. That being said, it's not an awful idea to check each lens and set the calibration individually (using the apply one setting)... Tedious, yes, worth it, very much so.

Final thought, if you have a camera shop near by that sells Pentax, see if they have some lenses in stock for you to try. If you find those lenses in the shop are tack sharp, you would know your camera is OK and your lenses need work. If they are not tack sharp then its further evidence your camera may need a little work or the settings are causing an issue.
Hi, yes I tried the live view, I have the fine adjustment on Apply 1, and tried on each lens.

I'm going to take it to my local shop, they have some pentax fit lenses in so I'll see what happens.

Thank you