Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
cleaning sensor on K1

think maybe I put this in the wrong place first, so hereīs another try. Iīve got three or possibly four stains of some sort on the sensor (filter) on my K1. First I thought it was dust, but when I blow up pics they look more like thin stains. They are not hard to take away in post processing, but still very annoying. I went in to a good camera store here in Gothenburg and asked for the price on cleaning. They told me they donīt do Pentax K1 and some other cameras because the sensor is electronically hinged, and they donīt want to be responsible if something goes wrong and that they send it to a special service shop. That would cost me around 120 in US dollars. Since I tend to change lenses outdoors ever now and then, and I live in a very rainy part of the world, I figured that could be very expensive in the long run, so I ended up buying a ff sensor cleaning set containing swabs, special fluid and clothes. My question is: how risky is doing this yourself and are there things I should specially consider before doing it? Grateful for any advice. Mats

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/337875-s...#ixzz4WEhB19ig

01-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've done it dozens of times. Take it slow, maybe watch a video on someone wet cleaning their sensor first. Use fully charged batteries, that's really important. The rest of it always seemed pretty intuitive.
01-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't had to clean my K-1 yet (although will need to soon), but have cleaned my K-5 and K-x many times.
I think its best not to do it more than you really need to but if dust starts getting obvious (like it sounds like in your case) then its time to sort it. Interesting about them not wanting to clean the sensor due to hinged sensor - if you put the camera into sensor cleaning mode it holds the sensor stable and, as long as you are not being rough, the sensor moving is not a problem.

As previously said: as long as you have a reasonably steady hand and watch some videos first its not too hard to do.
A couple things I have noted from previous cleans:
1. Somethings not enough - so don't be surprised if you need more. Just test after clean by using a lens that stops down to > f22 and point at the sky.
2. If some small hairs are left over, just let it dry for a while and let the sensor shaker do its think a few times (or maybe use a blower).
01-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax's Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 works well and I know retailers that offer cleaning services on other brands also use it. Works for me.

01-19-2017, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Pentax's Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 works well and I know retailers that offer cleaning services on other brands also use it. Works for me.
The O-ICK1 is great for lifting dust, fibres and other debris off the sensor - and it's my favourite cleaning tool for this - but it won't work for liquid marks, or resinous / sticky residue (from pollen and nectar, for example). Wet cleaning with good quality swabs and solution is the way to go here, though first I'd use an air blower, followed by a gel stick such as the O-ICK1 or Eyelead to remove any stubborn debris. That way, when wet cleaning with swabs, there's little or no risk of moving debris across the sensor

To the OP - if you work carefully with the correct products and go gently, there's nothing to worry about in cleaning a camera's sensor - even those with movement in them.
02-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The O-ICK1 is great for lifting dust, fibres and other debris off the sensor - and it's my favourite cleaning tool for this - but it won't work for liquid marks, or resinous / sticky residue (from pollen and nectar, for example). Wet cleaning with good quality swabs and solution is the way to go here, though first I'd use an air blower, followed by a gel stick such as the O-ICK1 or Eyelead to remove any stubborn debris. That way, when wet cleaning with swabs, there's little or no risk of moving debris across the sensor

To the OP - if you work carefully with the correct products and go gently, there's nothing to worry about in cleaning a camera's sensor - even those with movement in them.
Hi, have you actually used an Eyelead gel stick on the K1? I've used mine on other cameras, it worked fine but just want to be sure it's okay with the K1. Can't find anything online apart from this post. Many thanks.

Last edited by jeffmsc; 02-20-2017 at 03:37 PM.
04-08-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
Pentaxiste
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey all,

I need to clean my sensor, I've got the REIDL kit for APSC camera (I've been using with both K5 and K3 so far) and Im wondering if I can clean the K1 with this set of sticks.
Meaning Ill have to swipe 2 times to cover the size of the FF sensor.