Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #16
k22
Site Supporter

Word of caution. Blowing can push dust into areas that didn't have any.

01-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually got a LensPen hurricane blower and it works perfectly. I occasionally get dust spots and it removes them. I have found the sensor-shake dust clean useless.
01-22-2017, 05:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. As we speak a medium Giotto rocket blower is on its way to me. I will also check that dust removal is turned on.
01-22-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Thank you all for your replies. As we speak a medium Giotto rocket blower is on its way to me. I will also check that dust removal is turned on.
Good job It's a useful bit of kit for all sorts of cleaning jobs, but ideal for blowing dust of your sensor and lenses. On that point, it's worth quickly checking the rear element of any lens you're about to fit to the camera, and if necessary giving it a blast with your air blower to get rid of any dust...

01-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good job It's a useful bit of kit for all sorts of cleaning jobs, but ideal for blowing dust of your sensor and lenses. On that point, it's worth quickly checking the rear element of any lens you're about to fit to the camera, and if necessary giving it a blast with your air blower to get rid of any dust...
Hopefully not to belabor the point, as well as expose my mild OCD, but I take it a step further and will hold my camera, with existing mounted lens, face down and blast around the area of the mount before removing it. Then after removing said lens, I will continue to hold the camera in the face down position and blast air into the mount opening in hopes that any dislodged foreign particles, with the aid of gravity, will fall out of the camera and not just find a new place to hide inside the body.
01-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Giotto Rocket Blower. Accept no substitutes.
I second this! You will love the Giotto. Also as Mike suggested; do check the rear element of any lens you use.
01-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #22

One more vote for Giotto AA1900. I had it for at least couple years and it is a very handy item to have. Perfect for blowing dust from eyeglasses to extend time between wet cleanings. Great to take care of some minor dust from surface of vinyl records. Sometimes I just wish it was a bit larger.

01-30-2017, 02:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Also as Mike suggested; do check the rear element of any lens you use.
This may be a trifle OTT, but before any planned photo expedition, I charge all batteries, clean lenses and Polarising filters and give all bodies a brief check and quick clean.
Whilst out, whenever I change a lens, the blower is used again, camera body is kept with throat pointing downwards, and caps replaced immediately on the lens I have removed.
So far (touch wood) my problems have been minimal.

Tony
01-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thing that can't be mentioned too many times is: Do NOT use canned compressed air. It will leave nasty residues.

01-30-2017, 02:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi, While in camera class today one of the other students pointed out a couple of spots on one of my shots (I didn't see them). The instructor then launched into a discussion about sensor cleaning. There are instructions in the K-70 user's manual that I should use a blower to clean the sensor. Do any of you have any recommendations for a particular brand of blower and exactly how to use it? Thank you.
A lot of time a blower might do the job, but it would be prudent to study other methods of cleaning your sensor, as you'll surely need it in future, if you want to save on pro cleaning services...

There are lots of YouTube videos explaining how to clean sensors, and it is actually very easy, except if you have 10 thumbs
01-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Accept no substitutes.
+1, just does the job, no dramas.
01-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
...after removing said lens, I will continue to hold the camera in the face down position and blast air into the mount opening in hopes that any dislodged foreign particles, with the aid of gravity, will fall out of the camera and not just find a new place to hide inside the body.
That's what I do, too. I use the same method when I'm cleaning my lenses. If I'm cleaning the front surface, I first point the lens at the ground and use my blower to dislodge as much loose dust as possible, with hopes that it'll fall towards the ground. Also, mark me down as another Giotto user. Back before blowers like these were common, I used to use a baby nose syringe to blow dust off my camera and lenses.
01-31-2017, 07:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't switch lenses on my Pentaxes every few hours and so the potential to gather dust on my sensors is small. I usually am able to remove dust using the in-camera dust removal system, so I wonder why everybody uses the Rocket blower. Do you really need what I assume is a hurricane blast to remove any dust? I have a small blower with a removable brush on the nozzle. I seldom need to use it but when I do it seems quite adequate.
01-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if the dust refuse to let go, try something similar to Pentax O-ICK1. it always works for me.
02-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Do you really need what I assume is a hurricane blast to remove any dust?
Yeah, I did. I tried using the baby nose syringe that I'd used during my film years, but it wasn't enough to dislodge the dust on my sensor. The Giotto blower did the trick, though.