Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

Recommendation of a blower to clean sensor?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, While in camera class today one of the other students pointed out a couple of spots on one of my shots (I didn't see them). The instructor then launched into a discussion about sensor cleaning. There are instructions in the K-70 user's manual that I should use a blower to clean the sensor. Do any of you have any recommendations for a particular brand of blower and exactly how to use it? Thank you.

01-21-2017, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Giotto Rocket Blower. Accept no substitutes.
01-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
+1
01-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, While in camera class today one of the other students pointed out a couple of spots on one of my shots (I didn't see them). The instructor then launched into a discussion about sensor cleaning. There are instructions in the K-70 user's manual that I should use a blower to clean the sensor. Do any of you have any recommendations for a particular brand of blower and exactly how to use it? Thank you.

Manual Portable Rocket Air Blower Duster DSLR Lens Keyboard Dust Cleaner Remover

01-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+ 1 but be aware it come in 3 sizes>> small, medium and large. Medium is good if you want to carry in your bag, large is okay but takes more room. I own both and they are equally good for cleaning lenses, keyboards, etc.
01-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
+1 rocket blower also stands up on it's rocket fins... cheaper ones don't and can roll around.
01-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll throw my opinion just to be different.
Actually, I won't because Rocket Blower is just one of those items you have to have.

01-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
just one of those items you have to have.

I had to have 2 ! One for Me and one for the Grand Babies. We have intense dust off fights.
01-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rocket Blower the only one to buy.
01-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+2. Avoid the small one as it just doesnʻt blow enough air to clean well. The large linked here is certainly the best because of the force and volume of the air. Medium works okay, but you may spend more time and more attempts before you get the dust off.

Other than the fins, the Italian-made Giottos are a notch above the Chinese imitations in terms of materials and the diaphragm at the bottom filters dust from entering the blower. For me the hardest decision was going with a black rocket with red tip or the red one with the white tip....so I got both.

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1903-Rocket-Blaster-Large-Red/dp/B0013J0502...ket+air+blower

I think I can feel the RED silicon rubber a bit more supple, whereas the black one feels more rigid and doesnʻt squeeze as easily. Either work really well. Iʻd avoid using any compressed air types as propellent can mess up your sensor.
01-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

+1 for the rocket blower
01-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Giotto medium is really good for camera purposes.
01-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two rocket blowers, a small one that is always in my camera bag and a large one in my lens drawer.

Rocket Blower, don't leave home without it.
01-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

I will second, third and fourth that!:
01-21-2017, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before you get to the rocket blower stage make sure you have dust removal turned on. Not sure if it is on by default or not. Often this is enough to keep dust off all by itself.

But get a rocket blower anyway, you will need it.