Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Pentax Optio 6.0 mps "Memory card error "

Hi everybody, being a newcomer to this site I was wondering wether someone could help me with my problem. I use a PENTAX OPTIO 6 MPS which I used when we went to the Maldives and the camera was perfect to take the under water pictures of the fish and the coral. I bought some SD cards 3 x 2 GB cards. 1 x 4GB and 1 x 8 GB . The 3 x 2 GB cards worked perfectly but the 4GB and the 8 GB just kept popping up with " MEMORY CARD ERROR ". . When I bought the camera (for 300.00 about 10 years ago ) a CD came with all the information on how how to look after it , but time has passed and it seems to have got misplaced or lost and I can't remember the parts that talked about "Formatting the cards " or how to get the " ERROR " taken off so I can use the cards. Thank you in advance.

01-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's likely that the camera simply does not support SDHC cards, which are those between 4Gb and 32Gb (though some rare 4Gb cards are standard SD). Stick to 2Gb cards and you should be fine

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweeney-Todd-401 Quote
1 x 4GB and 1 x 8 GB .
Is it possible they aren't working because of their memory size?

Adam beat me to it!
01-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I wonder if there's a firmware update for the camera that would allow it to use the larger cards.

01-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's likely that the camera simply does not support SDHC cards, which are those between 4Gb and 32Gb (though some rare 4Gb cards are standard SD). Stick to 2Gb cards and you should be fine
Adam its just a normal SD card.
01-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Quote from Wikipedia :

'Storage capacity and incompatibilities[edit]
All SD cards let the host device determine how much information the card can hold, and the specification of each SD family gives the host device a guarantee of the maximum capacity a compliant card reports.

By the time the version 2.0 (SDHC) specification was completed in June 2006,[105] vendors had already devised 2 GB and 4 GB SD cards, either as specified in Version 1.01, or by creatively reading Version 1.00. The resulting cards do not work correctly in some host devices.[106][107]

SDSC cards above 1 GB[edit]

4 GB SDSC card
A host device can ask any inserted SD card for its 128-bit identification string (the Card-Specific Data or CSD). In standard-capacity cards (SDSC), 12 bits identify the number of memory clusters (ranging from 1 to 4,096) and 3 bits identify the number of blocks per cluster (which decode to 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, or 512 blocks per cluster). The host device multiplies these figures (as shown in the following section) with the number of bytes per block to determine the card's capacity in bytes.[citation needed]

SD version 1.00 assumed 512bytes per block. This permitted SDSC cards up to 4,096 512 512 = 1 GB, for which there are no known incompatibilities.[citation needed]

Version 1.01 let an SDSC card use a 4-bit field to indicate 1,024 or 2,048 bytes per block instead.[28] Doing so enabled cards with 2 GB and 4 GB capacity, such as the Transcend 4 GB SD card and the Memorette 4GB SD card.

Early SDSC host devices that assume 512-byte blocks therefore do not fully support the insertion of 2 GB or 4 GB cards. In some cases, the host device can read data that happens to reside in the first 1 GB of the card. If the assumption is made in the driver software, success may be version-dependent. In addition, any host device might not support a 4 GB SDSC card, since the specification lets it assume that 2 GB is the maximum for these cards'

HTH

Tony
01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweeney-Todd-401 Quote
Adam its just a normal SD card.
There are no "normal" 8Gb SD cards. The SD spec ends at 4Gb, and the SDHC spec goes from 4Gb to 32Gb (inclusive).

Look at the label on your card- if you see "SDHC" written on there, it won't work with the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sd cards

Thank you all for your replies ,I sorry if I mislead you with me putting "SD " after the 2GB. .It seems that most folk on this site are way way ahead of me with the technology that you all know about camera's and especially about the "Memory cards ". So it looks like I shall have to find a mate who uses the SD 4GB AND 8GB and we can do a straight swap. Thank you all once again for putting an O.A.P. back on the straight and narrow. So its good night from the United Kingdom.