Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I'm left eyed also and have no problems. Happiness was finding when I bought my K3ll they had moved AF backbutton to a different location then on my K5lls, which it's location to me did get somewhat in the way.

01-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #17
Forum Member

I made several attempts at using BBF, but am still using the shutter. While I understand the merit of BBF, I am not limited by using the shutter for my style. BBF does not add anything more useful and I am left-eyed.
01-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm left eyed too.

How come they don't make a "left eyed" version of a camera? I'm tired of my greasy nose always smearing up my LCD screen.
01-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could see the shutter perhaps being a bit more convenient when shooting in a continuous focus mode. It's probably a bit up to the user, but with continuous focus, which implies a moving target, it's just a bit faster to fully push the shutter when your finger already is already engaged for it. Using the AF button means you have to switch fingers. I imagine with practice you can get fast with it, but I suspect that neurologically, you'd be at your fastest with the Shutter.

That being said, I use the AF button 100% of the time. I'm not very good with continuous focus anyway (and rarely use it), and I find other people actually adjust easily since most of them don't have a dSLR to begin with an appreciate the separation between the focus and shutter. I've even been complemented on it. Of course there are still those that don't like it much, but it probably isn't much different than those that just don't like a dSLR when their used to a phone or basic p&s digital camera.

01-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I changed to back button AF years ago and never looked back. It only took a month to adjust - in that month I had some unfocused images - but now it's great and I get a better rate for keepers.

I also spend less time toggling between AF.S/AF.C/MF. My camera stays on AF.C all the time and I can simulate all 3 modes via the back button (provided I'm using a quick-shift lens).

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
The only time is when an uninformed family member or friend pick it up to take a picture and don't know how to use the back button.
In "Auto" mode some (all?) Pentax bodies ignore the focus button setting and return to autofocusing with the shutter button.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
How come they don't make a "left eyed" version of a camera?
This thread suggests there would be a market for it, but it would lead to 2 production lines and extra stock sitting in warehouses and stores. If Pentax marketing thought enough Canikon users would jump ship for a left-eyed camera it probably would have been done.
01-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My only complaint is that I often hit the Playback/Review button on my K-50 instead of the AF button. The button placement and proximity is not too good. I imagine it's much better on a K-3 or K-1 with separate, well-placed AF and AE-L buttons.

Fortunately the button placement has been somewhat remedied in the K-70 and the new KP. They moved it away from the other buttons on the back side. It looks like with the KP they've put the Green button where the K-50's AF button was.
01-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
In "Auto" mode some (all?) Pentax bodies ignore the focus button setting and return to autofocusing with the shutter button..
Drat, I was using that as an excuse for why I should be the only one to handle the camera in my family. Forgot that was a feature

01-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
Drat, I was using that as an excuse for why I should be the only one to handle the camera in my family. Forgot that was a feature
if you need or want to use Catch in Focus the shutter button has to be set to "enable af", at least that is what i have found.
01-28-2017, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Any situations where back button focusing is not a good idea?
Aye... with manual focusing lenses.

Pay no attention to me, that's just first thing that came into my mind.
01-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye... with manual focusing lenses.
Actually, The Back Focus button can be used very effectively for focus confirmation with manual focus lenses. Until someone decides to make a split image range finder focusing screen for the K-1 (if it is possible), the back focus button will work well.