Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Any situations where back button focusing is not a good idea?

Hi, Thanks to your help and watching a video on back button focusing I've got my K-70 set up to do it and like very much that I can either take a single shot or continuous with the single set up; i.e, I don't have to go into the menu to switch from single shots to continuous and back again.

I'd like to leave it set up like that full time and wonder if there are any situations where back button focusing is not a good idea.

Thanks.

01-26-2017, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
The only time is when an uninformed family member or friend pick it up to take a picture and don't know how to use the back button.

Otherwise, I've yet to find a reason for the half shutter press for focus and always use back button.
01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
The only time is when an uninformed family member or friend pick it up to take a picture and don't know how to use the back button.

Otherwise, I've yet to find a reason for the half shutter press for focus and always use back button.
Agreed that can be a problem. A bit more than asking said friend to wait for focus confirmation or SR operational lag.
01-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Good to know. Thanks.

01-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Agreed that can be a problem. A bit more than asking said friend to wait for focus confirmation or SR operational lag.
You can set up a Custom User mode for this situation, btw.
01-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No reason in my case, but I'd say it's good to get used to pressing both the back button and the shutter at the same time for the rare times you want a focused photo asap and you can't prefocus.
01-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one (for me anyway), is that I am LEFT eyed and my whole face overlaps the back AF button. I find it quite awkward to use back button AF because of this and have even scratched a cheek with recently trimmed nails. So after 6 months of sticking with it have gone back to half press of shutter button and find it much easier than BB.

If the camera was set up for left eye (or I was right eyed) then yes I think I would prefer BB focus.

01-26-2017, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only if you're missing your right thumb ;-) . I apologize in advance for my poor attempt at humor...
01-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Back Button slows the shooting process down a bit. Other than that, I see no issues. I actually like it better as I KNOW the focus has not shifted between shots. I also shoot left eye and have not had any issues with the K-1 except for nose smudges on the display. Happily, they moved the Green button, which I would hit occaisionally on my K-7!
01-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Another one (for me anyway), is that I am LEFT eyed and my whole face overlaps the back AF button. I find it quite awkward to use back button AF because of this and have even scratched a cheek with recently trimmed nails. So after 6 months of sticking with it have gone back to half press of shutter button and find it much easier than BB.

If the camera was set up for left eye (or I was right eyed) then yes I think I would prefer BB focus.
I'm left eyed, but it doesn't bother me. I had to take some photos at work today with a K-S2 that id not set up for back button focus and it took a while getting used to it, just like when I switched to BBF.
01-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
and it took a while getting used to it, just like when I switched to BBF.
I think that is what is keeping me from making the switch, even though I see merits it not having the shutter button activate the focusing.
01-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe for using focus tracking, the back button is harder to press continuously than the front.
01-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The Back Button slows the shooting process down a bit. Other than that, I see no issues. I actually like it better as I KNOW the focus has not shifted between shots. I also shoot left eye and have not had any issues with the K-1 except for nose smudges on the display. Happily, they moved the Green button, which I would hit occaisionally on my K-7!
I actually find it speeds up shooting if my subjects aren't constantly moving further away/closer. Focus once, then shoot away.
01-27-2017, 06:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote

I'd like to leave it set up like that full time and wonder if there are any situations where back button focusing is not a good idea.

Thanks.
None that come to mind, at least for me. I switched to full time BB focus several years ago and never looked back. It has become second nature to me. When I get a new camera body, one of the first things that I do is set upBB focus.
01-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote

I am left-eyed too, but have no problems with back button focus on the K3