Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
55-300 PLM question

Hi, I posted this in the Welcome section but it was suggested that I should also post here.
I recently ordered the new 55-300 PLM lens from a local camera store. When I went to pick it up, it would not autofocus on my K-3ii. I checked the firmware version in the menu and it is1.10. The person helping me behind the counter cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera. Unfortunately, this store did not have any other Pentax bodies on hand to try the lens on. I have another on order that should arrive this week.
Any thoughts? Is this copy of the lens a dud? Maybe the firmware upgrade didn't take despite the menu indicating it has the latest version?

Thanks, Mark.

01-30-2017, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just to check - did you press the button on the lens and rotate it so it is within the 55-300 range before testing the autofocus? In its storage position it won't autofocus.

Last edited by Eagle94VT; 01-30-2017 at 12:34 PM.
01-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, yes I tried focusing at different lengths throughout the zoom range. Hopefully the next copy will be ok.
01-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hopefully the lens you have coming will work just fine. I can't remember how I finally sorted it out, but when I updated the firmware on my K-3 it took me about 15 tries. Previous updates and my K1 update were quick and easy. I still have no idea what made it so challenging - maybe the firmware is the issue. Good luck!

01-30-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mate, I will post again after the next copy of the lens arrives.
01-31-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The telling story should be the second lens. If it works fine then the first lens was defective. If the second lens shows the same problem then the issue may be the firmware. I updated my K-3 to its latest firmware version 1.3 and bought a new 55-300 PLM. The lens works great, no issues at all. Keep us posted when you get your second lens. This is a whole new autofocus technology and if there are issues it would be good to know about them sooner than later.
01-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Defects do occur. I recently went to buy the Pentax waterproof remote control O-RC1 at a local store. We tried five units until finding one that actually worked! (Tested in-store on my K-1 and one of the Ricoh WG-5 units they had in stock.) All of these O-RC1 units had Ricoh packaging, so it wasn't a matter of the batteries dating back to the Hoya era or earlier.

02-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: Second copy of the lens would not autofocus so I am going to call Ricoh Support on Monday. It looks like I may have to send the camera in for service.
05-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE: Ricoh Imaging Canada suggested I download the latest firmware update from the Japanese Ricoh site. I did this yesterday and then went to the local Henry's to try the same lens again. I had my doubts but the lens works on my K3ii body now!

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Mark.
05-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rmc63 Quote
UPDATE: Ricoh Imaging Canada suggested I download the latest firmware update from the Japanese Ricoh site. I did this yesterday and then went to the local Henry's to try the same lens again. I had my doubts but the lens works on my K3ii body now!

Mark.
I am glad it wasn't the lens and I am glad you got it fixed. Enjoy it, it is one of my favorite lenses.
05-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #11

I had the same issue with this lens that was delivered yesterday. I tried cleaning the contacts, reinstalling the firmware update on my K-3ii, tried on the wife's K-50 after updating that firmware, the camera bodies were seeing the lens as the aperture was correct and it would change when zooming in and out it just would not focus either auto or manually. After arranging for a replacement I gave it the old fashioned "slap upside the head" and viola it works now.

The only thing I can think was it took some rough bumps in transit and something got out of alignment. Pretty nice upgrade from the older 55-300 offerings.
06-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rmc63 Quote

Mark.
Don't understand. So the firmware is different on Japanese site?