Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2017, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #1

no card in camera??

My K200D does not recognize a card in the camera. This problem came gradually as putting a card over and over it might work. Now it says no care all the time. Fixable or not??
I am new to this forum. I live near Seattle where today we have 8 inches on snow in my yard.

02-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried more than one card? It could be the card, not the camera, if not.

I'll bet traffic is at a standstill with that snow!!

Welcome to the Forums, we're glad you joined us here!
02-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try reformatting the card in the camera. Sometimes that works.
02-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or, try a full format (different from.quick format) in the computer. But before anything else, try another card if you have one.

If neither works, it could be either bent/damaged or dirty contacts in the camera?

Hope you find a fix so that you can share some snowscape images wit us.

02-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You may want to try another card in your camera as has been said. If it is recognized by the camera, format it in the camera. If you are curious about the card that did not work in your camera, you may want to try it in another camera. If it is recognized by the other camera, format it in that camera if possible and take some pictures to at least find out if it operates at all. Whenever I use an sd card, I format it in the camera I am using it in prior to shooting, handle it carefully, and keep it clean.
02-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for the reply's-I have tried many cards. I can use any card in a Canon and it works. This camera has seen a lot of use. I tried connecting it direct to a PC but it sucks too much out of the battery. I am not afraid of opening this guy up. Bent or dirty contacts are likely as the problem started gradually. Is there a "show and tell" video or basic directions about surgery on this patient. Thanks for any assistance
Bob
Seattle
02-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Try some electrical contact cleaner first. It should be OK to spray directly into the card slot.

When that doesn't work, it'll take some time to get to the card slot. I haven't seen any specific K200D directions but I think there's something on the K10D. Any of these can be useful to show where the screws are hidden. You probably have to take the top plate off first. Look for a screw in the battery compartment and a couple under the popup flash. The screws are annoyingly different, so keep track of where each screw came from. Then the bottom plate, another set of screws. The sides may have screws hidden under the rubber grips.

Edit: maybe just the bottom plate first, then see if you are close enough tothe SD slot. Here's a link and some photos for the K10D. I have taken apart an *ist DL and a K-r, both pretty much the same. The K10D looks similar despite being a sealed body like your K200D.

DSLR Camera Parts

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 02-07-2017 at 12:15 PM.
02-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Spray the electrical contact cleaner onto the contacts of the SD card and push it in and out a few times before the cleaner has time to dry.
Does the red light on the back of the camera flash as the card is inserted?