Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

That is pretty standard wording for a cruise line. They are basically saying two things: first, if they take a photograph of ship activities that includes you, they may use that image in advertising, without compensating you. Secondly, they are saying you can't use any of your own photographs for commercial purposes.

Without the first clause, they couldn't make and sell the cruise videos that they sell. They take a lot of stock footage of the ports of call and standard shipboard activity, and splice in a few minutes of activities on that specific cruise and then try to sell it to you for an exhorbitant amount

They also want to sell you photographs taken by the ship's photographers of you and your party. They will photograph you getting on the ship, getting off the ship, at dinner, and just about everywhere else onboard. If you buy one and try to have it copied at a kiosk in, say, Walmart, you may run into a problem. I've heard that Walmart is a stickler for not copying anything that looks like it was taken by a pro.

I don't know about RCCL, but Carnival, for example, has a release form buried somewhere on their website, allowing you to have copies made for non-commercial purposes.

There's a very good website for all things cruise related: Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic. They have forums that a cruise line specific. I suggest that you go there. You will probably find a discussion of this already there. If not, start one.

Bon Voyage!

02-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
That is pretty standard wording for a cruise line. They are basically saying two things: first, if they take a photograph of ship activities that includes you, they may use that image in advertising, without compensating you. Secondly, they are saying you can't use any of your own photographs for commercial purposes.

Without the first clause, they couldn't make and sell the cruise videos that they sell. They take a lot of stock footage of the ports of call and standard shipboard activity, and splice in a few minutes of activities on that specific cruise and then try to sell it to you for an exhorbitant amount

They also want to sell you photographs taken by the ship's photographers of you and your party. They will photograph you getting on the ship, getting off the ship, at dinner, and just about everywhere else onboard. If you buy one and try to have it copied at a kiosk in, say, Walmart, you may run into a problem. I've heard that Walmart is a stickler for not copying anything that looks like it was taken by a pro.

I don't know about RCCL, but Carnival, for example, has a release form buried somewhere on their website, allowing you to have copies made for non-commercial purposes.

There's a very good website for all things cruise related: Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises - Cruise Critic. They have forums that a cruise line specific. I suggest that you go there. You will probably find a discussion of this already there. If not, start one.

Bon Voyage!
Without that release (which, at least, isn't in the original quoted bit), it's saying you have no rights to any photographs you take.
02-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

No legal knowledge at all, just thinking aloud, but isn't it the same principle as a shopping maul (sic) not permitting photography ? As I understand it, they are both private property, and thus have the right to limit the use of photographs taken on their 'premises' .
02-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
No legal knowledge at all, just thinking aloud, but isn't it the same principle as a shopping maul (sic) not permitting photography ? As I understand it, they are both private property, and thus have the right to limit the use of photographs taken on their 'premises' .
Not really. There's a difference between saying 'no photography', in which case if you photograph things anyway, you may be asked to leave (but retain all rights to the images you made) vs 'photography is okay, but we own everything you make'.

02-09-2017, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Not really. There's a difference between saying 'no photography', in which case if you photograph things anyway, you may be asked to leave (but retain all rights to the images you made) vs 'photography is okay, but we own everything you make'.
OK, thanks for pointing that out - clarified the matter. (Not that it's likely to stop me, but still ...)
02-10-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

IANAL, and I can't offer an legal opinion regarding the wording of the RCCL, contract.

However, even if it can be interpreted to say that they "own" your photographs, in reality, all they are saying is that you can't use any photographs you take for commercial purposes. IOW, if, say, you own a travel agency, you can't use your vacation photographs in your brochure. Nor can you sell such photographs to someone else to use in THEIR brochure. You're free to make as many copies as you like for personal use.

The same is true of almost any resort. You can't go to Disneyland or Disneyworld, take a photograph of Cinderalla's Castle and use it for commercial purposes.