Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #1

Pentax ks2 wont auto or manually focus

Hello

My ks2 was working perfectly yesterday, but when i tried to use it today the focus is stuck. The focus ring makes a clicking noise and im not sure if i remember if it was there before or not. The clicking noise only happens when the camera is turned on and the lens is in the camera. When taken out and the focus ring is turned - no noise. Is this the camera itself or the lens. I just purchased this camera in november so im still under warranty but im not sure if i want to return it if it is just the lens.

02-08-2017, 01:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ayyliens Quote
Hello

My ks2 was working perfectly yesterday, but when i tried to use it today the focus is stuck. The focus ring makes a clicking noise and im not sure if i remember if it was there before or not. The clicking noise only happens when the camera is turned on and the lens is in the camera. When taken out and the focus ring is turned - no noise. Is this the camera itself or the lens. I just purchased this camera in november so im still under warranty but im not sure if i want to return it if it is just the lens.
Which lens is it?

If it's the 18-50mm, then the lens would be to blame, as it uses an in-lens focusing motor. When not mounted on the camera (i.e. without power), it can't focus at all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Perhaps this would help if your lens is a screw drive lens: Mount the lens and switch the camera body to manual focus and then back to autofocus to ensure that the drive shaft engages properly.
02-08-2017, 02:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The first K-S2 I bought for my sister had a dead 18-50 lens in it that wouldn't autofocus. I returned it for a new lens which worked pretty well. There is no manual focus for this lens, it is a focus-by-wire system which works like many bridge cameras in that the focus ring isn't mechanically linked to the focusing mechanism.

If this focus-by-wire system is faulty then the lens will not autofocus.

02-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
The first K-S2 I bought for my sister had a dead 18-50 lens in it that wouldn't autofocus. I returned it for a new lens which worked pretty well. There is no manual focus for this lens, it is a focus-by-wire system which works like many bridge cameras in that the focus ring isn't mechanically linked to the focusing mechanism.

If this focus-by-wire system is faulty then the lens will not autofocus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Which lens is it?

If it's the 18-50mm, then the lens would be to blame, as it uses an in-lens focusing motor. When not mounted on the camera (i.e. without power), it can't focus at all.
Yeah it is the 18-50mm lens. Does the warranty cover the lens? Do i have to send my camera in with the lens to get it fixed? Would it be easier just to ditch the lens and just get another?
02-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, the warranty covers it. Should be a free fix so I'd take advantage of that. No need to send the camera in.

If you want to ditch the lens later, I'd recommend the 18-135mm. Bigger but also better all around

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: