Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
dewolf

shutter sticking perhaps ?

recently my keepers are less and less. and again I have reset, tested, cleaned contacts, checked AF. Si shot an entire morning on MF and randomly even shots at 1/2000 are showing motion blur albeit very slight, then suddenly 1 in great focus. nothing moved ? and I am wondering if something like this is a symptom of sticky shutter. Camera is subjected to dust in Florida but recent house renovations, sawing and sanding exposed it to more. even though dust resistant could this be an issue ? I am planning on replacing my trusty and loved K5iis with a K3ii in August, and am reluctant to send in the old girl for an expensive cleaning. Im guessing 65k actuation's on the shutter, and a few minor drops in the grass may have put the old girl not in the best of health I will be heading out again Friday or Saturday and will make sure to save some example pics.
I am also going to revive my old DA 55-300 to see if it has the same issue in case its lens rather than body.
But when its sharp, OMG is it sharp lol. Cant wait to check out the K3.
Any ideas ? I have tested everything lol, yes I know I have been here before with this and similar. I am just stumped at the increase in issues however.
BUT that being said, I have to tell you all that there was a large group of Canon users at the rookery, with a Canon rep, showing off the latest Canon products and trying to get sales. I politely introduced myself to the rap and upon seeing I had a Pentax, was utterly ignored and treated like I was diseased LOL. I told him I can't afford his products and that even the Canon users have commented on my Pentax images. I don't have a gripe against either of the other 2 makers, But I love my Pentax images, the clarity is shocking at times. I want more Pentax goodies lol. and I shall have them

Peace to you all

02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If the blurred shots aren't any brighter than the good ones, then you are getting consistent exposures from shot to shot, and I'd suspect a problem elsewhere. Perhaps your SR system is off or failing?
SR is on, but yes considered it might be failing as well. however some images are darker, much darker than the shot before or after with no scene / exposure change.
perhaps when shooting faster I shall disable SR and see what happens, say faster than 1/1200ths
02-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with dcshooter, post #4 up there. I'd add look at the histogram of each shot. Should all be identical.
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Easiest way to test would be to set the shutter speed to manual and aperture wide open and take a succession of photographs of the same scene over and over. If there are noticeable variations in the brightness with the other variables controlled, that will indicate that it is indeed the shutter.
then I will have to wait for a cloudless day as lighting changes in mere seconds if not cloudless

---------- Post added 02-08-17 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I agree with dcshooter, post #4 up there. I'd add look at the histogram of each shot. Should all be identical.
and as stated above a histogram / lighting will change if I don't have even sunlight. perhaps an indoor setup with bright enough artificial lighting will be workable.
Will try to set something up this weekend, thanks all of you

02-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
then I will have to wait for a cloudless day as lighting changes in mere seconds if not cloudless
No need to wait for a cloudless day. Take the photos indoors at night.
02-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
No need to wait for a cloudless day. Take the photos indoors at night.
I plan on doing that tonight, since the iso etc wont make a diff if the same for all images. I want the shutter near 1/1000ths as I do outside to replicate the issue.
I have heard that the SR will cause a motion blur sometimes if left on with tripod use. I dont think I am holding it so still that the SR is being fooled. But I am pretty still lol, Room mate shakes me now and then to make sure I am alive
02-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #7
dewolf

I plan on doing that tonight, since the iso etc wont make a diff if the same for all images. I want the shutter near 1/1000ths as I do outside to replicate the issue.
I have heard that the SR will cause a motion blur sometimes if left on with tripod use. I dont think I am holding it so still that the SR is being fooled. But I am pretty still lol, Room mate shakes me now and then to make sure I am alive
78 images on manual settings in a room with a bright lamp. they all look the same, no exposure differences I can see. So will try shooting my normal Rookery routing with SR off for the 2nd half of my trip

02-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
dewolf

78 images on manual settings in a room with a bright lamp. they all look the same, no exposure differences I can see. So will try shooting my normal Rookery routing with SR off for the 2nd half of my trip
well, over 400 shots, 227 of them with no SR no AF. even braced against a tree, shot at 1/4000ths multiple shots vary greatly in focus on the same subject. I have to assume something is internally wrong inside the camera. and considering it's age and being dropped twice I dont think I will put any money into it, but save for a K3ii instead. Both lenses, the DA* and the DA 55-300 were tried. It just seems random like something was loose.
Thanks for the ideas mates. much appreciated.
02-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll buy it for $25. Lightroom says I never use 1/4000.
02-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'll buy it for $25. Lightroom says I never use 1/4000.
well new weird things. af button off on lens and body, yet as i press the shutter, a little jerk out of the AF, with both bottons off. also the camera randomly shuts off in the middle of shooting, tried with 2 batteries, same thing. no auto off mode set. I have to turn the body switch off and back on again. sure sounds like a gremlin inside.