Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Used k-30 with lots of dust inside.

I just bought a k-30, my first DSLR and I love it. I do have a small issue though. there's quite a bit of dust is the body, and a little on the sensor. It is becoming quite a bother, specifically when doing Macro shots. My main question is this: How expensive would it be to have this thing sent off to be professionally cleaned? Does anyone know a round-about figure?

02-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$50 to $75. I'd try to get it done locally if possible, any camera store should be able to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's super easy (and faster) to clean it yourself, too.
02-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Before you send or take it for cleaning, try using an air blower (apparently Giotto make a well-regarded model) and just blow away the dust. This thread contains more info :Recommendation of a blower to clean sensor? - PentaxForums.com

02-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Like already stated, get a Rocket blower & try that out first.

If not.....

Sensor & Camera Cleaning | B&H Photo Video

^ I've had to resort to using swabs with liquid on my K-50 & former Sony A200 cameras. Just have to be very careful & have some patience. I use a rocket blower after that & the sensor is as good as new.

Now if the camera is completely dirty on the inside, then maybe a professional cleaning service would be the best thing to do.
02-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Like already stated, get a Rocket blower & try that out first.

If not.....

Sensor & Camera Cleaning | B&H Photo Video

^ I've had to resort to using swabs with liquid on my K-50 & former Sony A200 cameras. Just have to be very careful & have some patience. I use a rocket blower after that & the sensor is as good as new.

Now if the camera is completely dirty on the inside, then maybe a professional cleaning service would be the best thing to do.
Well, it's hard to say how dirty it is because I have no basis for comparison. This is the first DSLR I've ever owned, so I don't know how much dust is acceptable/inevitable or how much would be excessive. I can say this, I've managed to get the sensor relatively clean a few times already, but dust keeps getting back onto it...I'm assuming because there is visible dust stuck on other parts of the inner housing. Also, the dust cleaning shaker function is virtually useless apparently.
02-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
Also, the dust cleaning shaker function is virtually useless apparently.
Not completely useless, but the ultrasonic system on the flagship models works much better.

I don't think a rocket blower will solve your problem, because it will just blow the dust around inside the chamber. Get a professional clean, and they should clean the mirror box as well as the sensor. If there is dust under the focusing screen, they can do that too (it's not a DIY job for a novice). The longer you leave it, the more chance that the dust will stick and then the problem will be worse.

Once it is clean you can do maintenance cleans yourself. A rocket blower is then more useful, a silicon pad kit (Pentax or Dust-Aid) if that doesn't work, and a wet swab kit as a last resort. Dust-Aid have a good starter kit with both a pad and swabs. A loupe with LED lights is handy too. The important thing with dust is to check regularly and keep on top of it if you have a problem.

Last edited by Des; 02-11-2017 at 01:26 AM.
02-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was a bit of an idiot once and used a can of air to try and clean out the mirror box on my K-5 II. Bunch of junk blown onto the sensor and the focusing screen. Tried to clean it on my own and was unsuccessful after buying swabs and cleaning solution and watching videos on how to do it myself. It was better but not great. Had it in to a local shop for cleaning; I think I left it there for a few hours. $25 later and the sensor was great, the focusing screen not so much.

I've learned to not leave the body open much more than I have to when changing lens, always have a lens mounted, and not attack the thing with air if I think I have a dust issue.