Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cleaning viewfinder debris?

So I picked up my neglected K-30 and cleaned the sensor with a rocket blower. I can't seem to get the viewfinder clean, though. I've tried the rocket blower, as well as a 'sticky picker upper' (the technical term) and a wet cleaning solution, and have concluded that the debris must be on the other side of the viewfinder glass.

I found a lever and popped that open, but it only seems to lift a frame around the viewfinder glass. Before I get too far along here, any tips for getting this done?

I've read through previous threads, and:
  • Yes, the dust bothers me enough to insist on cleaning it. It's never been this bad before, so this probably won't be a regular thing I clean.
  • I'm not super interested in mailing it to a shop. But, if anyone has a recommendation (preferably on the west coast) for a place that would just clean the viewfinder (the sensor is totally clean). I'm listening.

02-10-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
So I picked up my neglected K-30 and cleaned the sensor with a rocket blower. I can't seem to get the viewfinder clean, though. I've tried the rocket blower, as well as a 'sticky picker upper' (the technical term) and a wet cleaning solution, and have concluded that the debris must be on the other side of the viewfinder glass.

I found a lever and popped that open, but it only seems to lift a frame around the viewfinder glass. Before I get too far along here, any tips for getting this done?

I've read through previous threads, and:
  • Yes, the dust bothers me enough to insist on cleaning it. It's never been this bad before, so this probably won't be a regular thing I clean.
  • I'm not super interested in mailing it to a shop. But, if anyone has a recommendation (preferably on the west coast) for a place that would just clean the viewfinder (the sensor is totally clean). I'm listening.
I've not owned a K30, but I recalled that focusingscreen.com had some instructions for installing their screens that used photos and descriptions that might assist. --Pentax K5/K7/K10D/K20D/K30/K50/ISTD/K-S1/K-S2 Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--

I changed my K5 screen and the viewfinder should come down with the frame if the camera is sitting upright. I'd just keep it leant back slightly so it remains in the frame. This will expose the front of the screen for cleaning. Anyhoo, good luck.

Tas
02-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Dirt/dust/debris in the viewfinder path can be in many places:
  • The mirror
  • either surface of the focusing screen
  • the pentaprism surfaces facing the mirror box and the viewfinder
  • any of the surfaces of the lenses comprising the viewfinder after the pentaprism

The surfaces in the mirror box are accessible though you may have to release the frame holding the focusing screen to access the pentaprism and "inside" of the screen.

Other than the outside of the viewfinder you probably need to disassemble the top cover to access the inner surfaces of the viewfinder lenses and pentaprism.

Advance Camera in Oregon should do an out of warranty CLA.
02-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a similar problem on a K100D - but despite trying some of the cleaning ideas I still have debris in the viewfinder. I wonder if the mirrors have lost their surface but it doesn't look like that to me.

02-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #5

I think people have to be careful when using rocket blowers as they can push the dust into inaccessible places. I have a K5 with a dirt/dust in the viewfinder path which I cant get at.
02-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Beware. In my experience the focussing screens are 'soft' and easily scratched.