Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Pentax digital Camera utility4

Can anyone help please, with why, when I go to alter a preview by adjusting the exposure, the preview and map just black out?
Cheers!

02-12-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Version 4 is really old and thus no longer supported. It's likely a hardware issue or some other incompatibility. If you have a version 5 CD, you can upgrade to that and then download the latest version below. Should fix any problems you are having

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Version 4 is really old and thus no longer supported. It's likely a hardware issue or some other incompatibility. If you have a version 5 CD, you can upgrade to that and then download the latest version below. Should fix any problems you are having

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks for your quick response Adam, but unfortunately I don't have a version 5CD, can I just download the version 5 Updater
02-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

If you have version 4 installed I believe that you can download and update to version 5. Give it a try!

02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Ole. I do have version 4 installed and I did try the version 5 update, but it said there wasn't a valid version to update, and closed, so unfortunately no joy. There must be some way, as I can't believe that Pentax would expect you to buy a new camera in order to get a new version CD.
02-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dickie 43 Quote
unfortunately I don't have a version 5CD, can I just download the version 5 Updater
Yes you can, even without a qualifying previous version. See these threads:
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update 5.5.1 - PentaxForums.com
Essentially you just download the latest version of the updater for your operating system, put it on a USB flash drive or other disk (preferably an empty one), rename the disk S-SW162, then run the setup program from there.

I'd also suggest you download the free version of DxO Optics Pro 9, which is available until 28 February 2017. It's the version from 2014, but personally I think it's still a better option than the current version of DCU (for cameras and lenses released up to 2014 anyway). This is not a time limited trial but the full program. Details here: DxO OpticsPro 9 - free - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Des; 02-12-2017 at 01:56 PM.
02-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Install the download exe on a USB stick or card. You need to rename a USB stick or memory card as S-SW90.

You do not need a CD then.

Note that I personally use DCU version 5.4.1, because I had had numerous issues with newer versions.
PDCU 5.6.2 Fails to Load on Win 10 - PentaxForums.com

Hope that the advice may help.
02-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for your quick response Adam, but unfortunately I don't have a version 5CD, can I just download the version 5 Updater
It will only work if you have v5 installed. There is also a v4 update on there, though, so make sure you have the latest version of that installed. I'm not sure when it was last updated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes you can, even without a qualifying previous version. See these threads:
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update 5.5.1 - PentaxForums.com
Essentially you just download the latest version of the updater for your operating system, put it on a USB flash drive or other disk (preferably an empty one), rename the disk S-SW162, then run the setup program from there.

I'd also suggest you download the free version of DxO Optics Pro 9, which is available until 28 February 2017. It's the version from 2014, but personally I think it's still a better option than the current version of DCU (for cameras and lenses released up to 2014 anyway). This is not a time limited trial but the full program. Details here: DxO OpticsPro 9 - free - PentaxForums.com
Many thanks Des / hcc! I will certainly give your suggestions a try and report back. Cheers!
02-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It will only work if you have v5 installed.
Adam, I've been able to install v.5.4.2 on Windows XP and Windows 10 using the downloaded version without having installed an earlier v.5, by following the instructions in the threads linked above. I can't remember what name I gave the installation disk (whether the one I mentioned or the one @hcc mentioned - different ones are mentioned in the threads as each working) but it worked fine.

Good luck with it @Dickie43
02-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I will certainly give your suggestions a try and report back. Cheers!
If you can't get it to go, you can try this. It is free, and fairly popular. I use it a lot for a variety of things though I process raw files in Elements.

(I bailed on Pentax software in V3.51...which had no cloning tool and some other conveniences then. Never looked back).

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
02-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I can't remember what name I gave the installation disk (whether the one I mentioned or the one @hcc mentioned - different ones are mentioned in the threads as each working) but it worked fine.
It doesn't matter as long as it is an earlier version than the update. With Windows 8/8.1/10 it doesn't even matter if you have a drive named S-SWxxx. When the update complains it can't find an earlier version continue with the install (don't click "cancel") and it will go ahead and install.
02-14-2017, 02:24 AM   #13

Original Poster
Many thanks to all for help, as Utility 5 now installed and operational