Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 problem

I have SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4, I bought it as a pre-owned. I'm using it along with my Canon 60D. However, I couldn’t put focus on it as the aperture ring slide is stuck for some reason. Any help or simple solution?

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 60D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 60D  Photo 
02-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

What do you mean? The auto/manual switch that shows in your photo on the left hand side just above the silver adapter ring? On most of the auto lenses there is a small pin/button on the rear mount. That needs to be pressed in to release the switch. It should get depressed by the adapter or camera mount when you screw the lens down.

Try dismounting the lens and pressing the button in with a finger nail (it only sticks out about 0.5mm) and see if you can move the switch.
02-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Meter coupled Takumars have a little pin on the bottom that has to be depressed for the a/m switch to work. Check that the adapter you are using is depressing it fully. Shouldn't affect focusing, though. The bent filter is troubling; if you can't turn the focus ring, then it suggests the lens was dropped, denting the helical.
I know about the auto/manual switch and it did move. However, the images still resulting not focus. I meant the ring just above the a/m switch that didn't move. It did move just a bit but need a great effort to slide it to the point it broke my skin :/
02-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The ring above the A/M switch is the aperture setting ring. If it is bound that tight, then there is obviously issues with the lens. When you focus, does the lens barrel actually extend and retract? Can you remove it form the Canon mount and confirm the rear element is not askew and is actually moving with focus. The lens looks like it's a bit rough condition-wise (looks like the filter / filter ring is bent) although the front glass look OK) and it may have been dropped, etc., causing it to not work properly.

02-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beer tasters!

If you are lucky, only the filter rim is bent. There are lots of instructions around for disassembling this lens but they all start with unscrewing the "name" ring via the filter threads. So if the filter threads are bent, you'd have to fix them first.
02-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
The ring above the A/M switch is the aperture setting ring. If it is bound that tight, then there is obviously issues with the lens. When you focus, does the lens barrel actually extend and retract? Can you remove it form the Canon mount and confirm the rear element is not askew and is actually moving with focus. The lens looks like it's a bit rough condition-wise (looks like the filter / filter ring is bent) although the front glass look OK) and it may have been dropped, etc., causing it to not work properly.
Yes, that's what I said the aperture ring stuck. I finally able to move it but with a pipe wrench :/ carefully.

When you focus, does the lens barrel actually extend and retract? --> no, it did absolutely nothing. I'm assuming it's broken and the previous owner did not tell me anything about this.

I'm still able to take shots but it's a bit difficult since I have to position myself (since there's no lens retraction movement) to the object (more/less focus from 3 ft away but that's it).
04-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Hi everyone. Few days ago I have bought Super Takumar 50/1.4. Do I need to lock or remove aperture ring pin (on the rear side of lenses). Will it make any problems during using on camera or during installation/deinstallation? Thanks.
04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, that lens should be fine on all Pentax DSLRs. The pins won't hit anything. You will need to move the AUTO/MAN switch to MAN or M to change the aperture. But you can move that switch at any time.