Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Pentax MX 1 compact camera

Hi. I am very angry!!!!
I have just purchased a new Mac computer, which of course doesn't have a CD drive so I am unable to download the software for my trusty Pentax MX 1 camera. I have searched the web for a link to download it & am unable to find one. I contacted the company that is licensed to import them into Australia & their dreadful customer service representative suggested that I upgrade to a new camera!! Now I understand that it's not a high end camera & that it was released in 2013 however I purchased it new 3 years ago so I'd hardly consider it outdated! I know I could an buy an external card reader but I'd rather not & frankly don't think I should have to. Surely I am not asking too much to expect that I can download images from my camera to computer. Does anybody out there know where I could download the software?

02-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the easiest way would be to use the card reader on the Mac and use Photos. I know the CD drives are going away but am pretty sure that all Macs still have a sd card slot.
02-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this is possible, but can't see why not: ask someone with a windows machine to burn an ISO file of your CD, then transfer that file on a USB drive to your new mac and mount it in your Mac's OS as a virtual CD drive.
02-14-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a USB CD drive for something like $10. But yeah, there is far better PP software out there, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The mac doesn't have a SD card slot built in already? If not you should still be able to hook the camera up to the computer and access it like a storage drive to get to your photos. As far as software to post process, there is much better out there than what is included with the camera, many of which is free.

The MX-1 is still a very solid camera.
02-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can get a USB CD drive for something like $10. But yeah, there is far better PP software out there, so I wouldn't worry too much.
bingo - I've used an external DVD drive on my macs for years...
02-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
bingo - I've used an external DVD drive on my macs for years...
That seems so obvious to me. Apple even sells them (for $80).
02-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

Reviews say it ships with SILKYPIX Designer Studio so you can probably download the one on Ricoh's sites for the Q, K-01 and K-30.