Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 02:14 AM   #1

Split focus screen

Hello and greetings, I am interested in a split screen focus for my pentax k5, and I have many doubts on the subject for more less I am beginner in manual focus. I would like you to recommend me to buy, to start using manual focus with ease. And if it could be where to acquire it.
Thank you all for listening.

02-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oscarjerezano Quote
Hello and greetings, I am interested in a split screen focus for my pentax k5, and I have many doubts on the subject for more less I am beginner in manual focus. I would like you to recommend me to buy, to start using manual focus with ease. And if it could be where to acquire it.
Thank you all for listening.
G'day mate,

I went with an S type screen instead of a split screen for my K5. I sourced it from focusingscreen.com, here's the link to their K5 page that includes split screen options: Focusing Screen The installation was easy (the website has pictorial instructions to follow), though dust is a problem that will become annoying if you don't manage it when you swap the screen over.

There are strengths and weaknesses in choosing a split screen over the standard screen or an S type screen. I decided the S type was less of a compromise and I found it a huge improvement with manual focus, particularly with faster apertures. The shims that came with the replacement screen were needed, but again it's a simple task to swap the standard ones for replacements.

There's several discussions on this topic around the forums that I recommend you review as there's lots of handy tips about managing dust, alternatives for the provided shims, testing the screen for focus accuracy etc. Here's a link to a forum search on the topic: focusing screen - Search Results - PentaxForums.com the reviews/database for focusing screens can be found at the top of the page too.

Tas
02-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too recommend focusingscreen.com. I have one installed on my K3 and it works absolutely fine..