Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Question concerning quick release place on tripod

So I have a dumb question. I bought a nice tripod for my new camera (my first I might add) and I'm really annoyed by the quick release plate. I love how easy it is to slide on and off the tripod. However when I'm not using the tripod and I find myself having to sit my camera down, the little plate attached on the bottom of my camera causes it to not sit flat anymore, and the weight of even my smallest lenses cause the camera to dip down forward, and rest on the body/lens. I hope I explained that well.

I don't know if this is a huge issue, but it bugs the hell outta me! Can this cause damage over time? Am I supposed to take the plate off, and if so...then what's the point!? Has anyone found a brand that is more functional, or a workaround?

02-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good question!

It depends... some long lenses with tripod collars allow you to rotate the collar, moving the tripod plate out of the way. With shorter lenses, you might have better luck with a different QR plate.
02-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Par for the course. That's what they do. I can't say it ever really bothered me, as I don't keep the plate on much, only when actually using a tripod, or in the field where the camera is only ever on the tripod, around my neck, or in the bag.
02-17-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My plates never leave the camera. I buy Arca-Swiss style plates that actually fit the camera, not the generally ill fitting ones that come with the tripod. They are not cheap, but in general they are large enough and fit well enough that the camera will sit fine on the plate without falling over. If your tripod uses Arca-Swiss then camera plates are available from many manufacturers. If it uses a proprietary mount then you might just have to live with it.

02-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My plates never leave the camera. I buy Arca-Swiss style plates that actually fit the camera, not the generally ill fitting ones that come with the tripod. They are not cheap, but in general they are large enough and fit well enough that the camera will sit fine on the plate without falling over. If your tripod uses Arca-Swiss then camera plates are available from many manufacturers. If it uses a proprietary mount then you might just have to live with it.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm just going to have to find a new setup, or make one myself because that whole "live with it" thing is something that's never fit my personality, lol. Honestly, as much as it bugs me (though I know it shouldn't) I'd prefer to just screw my camera onto the tripod every time, but then I guess you have to worry about wearing out the threads.
02-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
the little plate attached on the bottom of my camera causes it to not sit flat anymore, and the weight of even my smallest lenses cause the camera to dip down forward, and rest on the body/lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Par for the course. That's what they do.
What he said ^ ^ ^

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My plates never leave the camera. I buy Arca-Swiss style plates that actually fit the camera, not the generally ill fitting ones that come with the tripod.
This is my practice as well. I use an Acratech 2138* plate on my K-3. It is well-finished, with smooth edges that do not snag fabrics or cut into stuff. Be aware that while Arca-Swiss style plates are pretty standardized, the fit of a particular plate on a particular clamp is variable. I have a few plates that will not securely fix to one of my clamps but work well with a clamp from the plate's maker.

Steve

* This plate has an anti-rotation lip as part of its design and fits a number of similarly-sized bodies of different makes.
02-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm just going to have to find a new setup, or make one myself because that whole "live with it" thing is something that's never fit my personality, lol. Honestly, as much as it bugs me (though I know it shouldn't) I'd prefer to just screw my camera onto the tripod every time, but then I guess you have to worry about wearing out the threads.
Yes, you can buy heads with a simple screw-type platform. The head on my travel tripod is that way and I bought it that way on purpose.* I also have an Arca-Swiss type clamp that will screw onto that head so that I have that option when needed.

The obvious question is then, "when is a plate/clamp fixture a good idea?". The answer is when one wants to make sure that the camera is not going to rotate on the platform and will engage cleanly with the head. My dSLR is too heavy and too smooth on the bottom to work well with a traditional screw-only platform.

Steve

* I use that tripod with my 35mm film cameras. Small plates are available, but they are overkill for use with a small camera.
02-17-2017, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The obvious question is then, "when is a plate/clamp fixture a good idea?". The answer is when one wants to make sure that the camera is not going to rotate on the platform and will engage cleanly with the head. My dSLR is too heavy and too smooth on the bottom to work well with a traditional screw-only platform.
Agreed. My ball head that I recently retired in favor of a gimbal head was a Manfrotto with the hexagonal plates. I found with that one that the hex plates weren't up to the stress of moving the camera, and I was constantly tightening them. The cork footing would become glazed and the M 400 foot would just turn without turning the ball head.

02-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

First off, it's not going to do your camera or lens any harm to be tilted forward and resting on the lens. That's pretty minimal. But if it bugs you, then maybe you ought to look at changing things. If you like the legs of your tripod, you could probably just put a new head on it. Something that takes quick release plates that will allow your camera to sit flat.
02-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One can purchase a longer plate that would stabilize the camera/lens when off the tripod. A pretty nifty idea is with a plate that is part of the TK B-Grip system. It has a little "foot" that you can slide out that stabilizes the camera when off the tripod or belt system.

Scroll down to see this neat little "foot".

The BH Camera Holster | b-grip

Last edited by csa; 02-18-2017 at 09:18 AM.
02-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Agreed. My ball head that I recently retired in favor of a gimbal head was a Manfrotto with the hexagonal plates. I found with that one that the hex plates weren't up to the stress of moving the camera, and I was constantly tightening them. The cork footing would become glazed and the M 400 foot would just turn without turning the ball head.
Manfrotto make the hex plates with the architectural attachment to keep the camera from swiveling. They also make them with a recessed screw for a flat bottom.

Back to the OP - you can carry around a lens "bean bag" and rest the lens on that.