Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #1

Is a wireless SD card worth it for a pentax k-30?

I recently purchased a k-30 (my first DSLR) and I'm wondering if a wifi sd card would be worth it? I don't know anything about them other than I did a quick google search, and there seems to be a wide price range...which worries me. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

02-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
I recently purchased a k-30 (my first DSLR) and I'm wondering if a wifi sd card would be worth it? I don't know anything about them other than I did a quick google search, and there seems to be a wide price range...which worries me. Does anyone here have any experience with them?
You could use the card to transfer files using whatever functionality the card supports, so you should look at the features of the card itself. The only downside would be slower write speeds, but this isn't that much of an issue with the K-30, which doesn't have that big of a buffer to begin with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Does the K-30 even support wifi cards?
02-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Does the K-30 even support wifi cards?
It was my understanding that these cards would work in any digital camera because the camera just writes to it like a normal SD card. Am I wrong there?

02-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
On cameras prior to the K-3, it works as a standard SD card, not wireless. The review on the forums makes good reading. Good luck.

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I guess Peter answered that question for me. The reason I asked was that the review here on the K-30 didn't say wifi cards were usable on that camera, just SD, SDHC and SDXC.
02-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Look at the Toshiba Flash air.

02-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote

Why in the world would you want to use a wifi sd card unless you are in a studio situation. How much time will you save using a slow wifi connection versus removing the sd card and inserting it into the card slot on your computer? If you want more capacity just buy a larger capacity card. Instead of spending time fumbling with a wifi sd card learn all you can about your camera and use it daily.
02-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMHO, as a long time gadget freak, wireless SD Cards add more complexity with an additional point of failure without any real added value.

I find that the two methods of 1) removing a card from a camera and putting it into a card reader or 2) connecting the camera directly by USB cable both work reliably.
02-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wireless SD cards can/do give you remote operation and more importantly remote viewing opportunities, very useful if you want to shoot at low level or discretely.
?
I use one for macro shots of mushrooms, etc. I set the camera up on a table top tripod and I sit on a stool next to it, viewing the camera output via a phone or tablet. Saves me getting muddy knees! 😁

Last edited by JohnX; 02-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.
02-18-2017, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Wireless SD cards can/do give you remote operation and more importantly remote viewing opportunities, very useful if you want to shoot at low level or discretely.
But not on a K-30, it works just like any other SD card. The K-30 doesn't have wifi via flu card nor does it have tettering.

Pentax K-30 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The K-50 does have wifi with appropriate eye-fi card. But it too does not have tettering.

Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

So the only thing OPs K-30 and flu card is capable of is using the flu card just like any other SD/SDHC card does.
02-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Sorry to contradict you Photolady, but the Toshiba FlashAir card doesn't need in-camera support, so will work in any camera that accepts a 32gb SD card as it sets up it's own local wireless connection direct to a combatible device.l

OP is not asking specifically about the FluCard.
02-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry to contradict you Photolady, but the Toshiba FlashAir card doesn't need in-camera support, so will work in any camera that accepts a 32gb SD card as it sets up it's own local wireless connection direct to a combatible device.l

OP doesn't mention how he plans to use the card. I was giving you what Pentax says their K-30 was able to use a wifi card for that's all.
02-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
IMHO, as a long time gadget freak, wireless SD Cards add more complexity with an additional point of failure without any real added value.

I find that the two methods of 1) removing a card from a camera and putting it into a card reader or 2) connecting the camera directly by USB cable both work reliably.
If the camera is finally locked down in the perfect position, say for a high-magnification macro, I might not want to touch it.

I bought an Eye-fi card when they first came out, and a later Pro version that could transfer RAW files, because 99% of my shots are RAW. I found the RAW file transfer to be too slow and prone to failure. These days I only use it for one purpose, photos of stuff my wife is selling on eBay. I can take JPG shots in one room and have them show up on her computer where she is creating the listings. That's more what the card was meant for.
02-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
OP doesn't mention how he plans to use the card. I was giving you what Pentax says their K-30 was able to use a wifi card for that's all.
I'm talking about any brand WiFi card, not specifically the flu card.

---------- Post added 02-18-17 at 11:56 AM ----------

So does the flashair work in any camera? I can't seem to find out for sure whether it works with my camera.

---------- Post added 02-18-17 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
On cameras prior to the K-3, it works as a standard SD card, not wireless. The review on the forums makes good reading. Good luck.

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I known the flu card doesn't work, but I was referring to the third party cards like EyeFi or Toshiba FlashAir. Do they work on the k-30?