Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Viewing Previously Renamed Files on a DSLR

I realized that not many people care to do this, but I was wondering if there is some way to view pictures I import from an SD card onto my Pentax K-3 II. The reason for this is because I typically show other people my images on the go.

However, once I rename the files and export them, they are no longer viewable on the K-3 II. As long as I do not rename them, I can still view them, but I want to be able to seamlessly add old ones to a card and then be able to show them to others directly. Is there a solution to this?

02-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use a folder that has been created on an sd card by your K-3Ii and load/unload files with a name sequence similar to how original image files created on the SD card using the K-3II that may be a way. You can find out by testing.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-20-2017 at 09:07 AM.
02-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Can you explain step-by-step what you mean by this?
02-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Why not get an inexpensive tablet and show people on that ? The image is better and larger (which always impresses people !)

02-20-2017, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Pentax cameras use the Design rule for Camera File system conventions so that the files are readable by other cameras. You need to follow the naming conventions in order for the camera to recognize the files (see the link above for the conventions).
02-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Format a card in the K-3II and shoot an image or two. The DCIM folder in on that card can be used interchangeably among camera and computer. If you place files on the SD card, you must make sure the files are in a compatible format such as JPEG. The file names also should follow the naming convention (name sequence) of the images you took using the K-3II to follow the system uniformity. In other words use a similarly structured name to those original images.
02-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you care about sequential numbering of the pictures you take, you may want to be careful if you insert image cards with various file names or numbers.

It may depend on the exact camera model, but check these threads for consequences and fixes:

Tricking the K20D's filename system - PentaxForums.com

(Re)Setting K20D file name in camera - PentaxForums.com

02-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Why not get an inexpensive tablet and show people on that ? The image is better and larger (which always impresses people !)
I've seen some terrible colour reproduction on cheap tablets, it's something else to carry around, something else to charge, you have to somehow get your photos over to the tablet, etc.

Plus, I find that clients have a built-in expectation that images on the back camera screen are not complete, which is nice.
02-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Pentax cameras use the Design rule for Camera File system conventions so that the files are readable by other cameras. You need to follow the naming conventions in order for the camera to recognize the files (see the link above for the conventions).
Wow! One learns something new every day. Is it safe to assume that the camera might also require a full set of metadata and acceptable format? For example, an Adobe-created DNG based on a Pentax RAW (either DNG or PEF) is not readable in-camera. I have never tried other than OOC JPEGs.

Note: So that's why the file numbering wraps at 9999

Steve
02-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! One learns something new every day. Is it safe to assume that the camera might also require a full set of metadata and acceptable format? For example, an Adobe-created DNG based on a Pentax RAW (either DNG or PEF) is not readable in-camera. I have never tried other than OOC JPEGs.

Note: So that's why the file numbering wraps at 9999

Steve
Interesting enough I took some JPEGs from negatives that the photo lab scanned and the won't read on my K10D. It recognizes the files but says it can't display the JPEGs.

I noticed that Adobe created DNGs were not compatible with my K10D even though I tried saving them as ever version of DNG that the converter had. I didn't know if it was just my K10D being so old. At the lowest level of compatibility the image portion of RAW files should be TIF compatible. Maybe the DNGs coming out of Pentax cameras are only compatible enough to be read as DNGs but Pentax hasn't fully implemented the DNG format on the camera. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can read the DNGs coming out of the camera. The camera isn't a very good device for viewing your images, even if you connect it to a monitor.
02-20-2017, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
At the lowest level of compatibility the image portion of RAW files should be TIF compatible.
PEF and DNG are TIFF/EP-compliant* at the highest level as are several other RAW formats. Any standards-compliant TIFF parser should be able to read a PEF or DNG, though reading is not the same as processing the data to a displayable image. It has been a few years, but I once renamed a PEF with .tif extension and loaded the file into a program capable of displaying TIFF images. The program pulled one of the embedded JPEGs for display

Steve

* TIFF is sort of complicated. The common image format is related to, but not the same as TIFF/EP used for some RAW files. There are structural similarities between the two, but the purpose and data structures are different. FWIW, I don't understand most of it.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-20-2017 at 02:46 PM.
02-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
I appreciate all the answers. I have renamed my files for years based on the event. These obviously will not follow the "ABCD1234" rule. I have already spent hours renaming them (automatically renamed to i.e., Christmas Dinner (1)). I guess I will need to undo the organization by renaming them again?

In other words, if I want to name the files something other than with 4 letters, they will be unrecognizable, right? Interesting. Why is that?
02-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WhimsicalV Quote
I appreciate all the answers. I have renamed my files for years based on the event. These obviously will not follow the "ABCD1234" rule. I have already spent hours renaming them (automatically renamed to i.e., Christmas Dinner (1)). I guess I will need to undo the organization by renaming them again?

In other words, if I want to name the files something other than with 4 letters, they will be unrecognizable, right? Interesting. Why is that?
Because the camera won't open files it doesn't expect / doesn't recognize. I think that a tablet is what you need for effective browsing

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have renamed my files for years based on the event. These obviously will not follow the "ABCD1234" rule. I have already spent hours renaming them (automatically renamed to i.e., Christmas Dinner (1)). I guess I will need to undo the organization by renaming them again?
I would not go through the trouble. Looking forward, it makes sense to embed data about the image (so-called metadata) in the Exif information for the file as keywords and/or description. Many programs make this easy (e.g. Lightroom) and many others are able to search or sort on the that metadata. Another alternative is to put related files in folders specific to an event or subject.

Steve
02-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because the camera won't open files it doesn't expect / doesn't recognize. I think that a tablet is what you need for effective browsing
I guess so. The thing is I always have the Pentax with me, versus having to carry another device around. I guess I was wanting it to be easy but it is not to be.