Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Fungus in 18-55 kit lens

I recently tried to p/ex an 18-55 kit lens at a well-known UK retailer. However, they examined it and rejected it as there was fungus in it. Contacted the Ebay seller from whom it was bought,
who gave an immediate no quibble 100% refund, including postage.

However, I have had a look at the lens, shining a light through it, using an 10x loupe etc, and I could see no evidence. So today I went and took some comparison shots with both the 'reject'
and my other 18-55 kit lens. Looking at the images (all on tripod, SR off, cable release, same subject) shot at all apertures and all marked focal lengths, and comparing those from each lens
using Irfanview, set up to load RAW, even at a magnification of over 200% I can see no difference in the quality of the shots.

Can anyone please tell me how the existence of fungus in a lens is likely to manifest itself in the image, please ?

Many thanks.

Tony

02-20-2017, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Can't help with the specific question regarding impact on image, but afaik fungus will be visible on the glass when a light is shone through the lens, so interesting how you're not seeing it but 'they' are.

Most of what I've read suggests little if any impact on image quality.
02-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, John, that's pretty much what I thought about seeing the fungus - as for impact on image quality, again what my testing confirms, but nice to have another opinion.
I suppose being a commercial concern, they have to cover themselves against any possible comeback.

Cheers
02-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could consider fungus, dust or scratches the same thing (i.e. something that should not be there). The impact on the quality of the image will depend on where they are (the closer to the sensor the worse) and how big the are (the bigger the worse...duh).

In this article you can see that having some of these will not affect the quality of your pictures that much:
Dirty lens article

A completely different story is whether your lens actually does have fungus or not.

02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, thanks, Sergysergy - the major problem with my photos anyway is the photographer, not the camera or the lens !
02-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

If there is any noticeable effect it will primarily be in loss of contrast and some sharpness.
02-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Can anyone please tell me how the existence of fungus in a lens is likely to manifest itself in the image, please ?
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Most of what I've read suggests little if any impact on image quality.
Yep.
But shouldn't the shop tell you what their evidence of fungus is?
Anyway, a little fungus is not a big problem for image quality (usually), but most photographers get rid of infected lenses because they fear their other gear will get infected. Considering its a cheap lens and you got your money back, you should probably get rid of it, or de-fungus it if you know how. You can put it on ebay with a big notice "fungus!" for $2+shipping, and then buy a nice, clean Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (which is a much better lens than the DA L18-55mm)

02-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and advice.
02-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep.
But shouldn't the shop tell you what their evidence of fungus is?
Anyway, a little fungus is not a big problem for image quality (usually), but most photographers get rid of infected lenses because they fear their other gear will get infected. Considering its a cheap lens and you got your money back, you should probably get rid of it, or de-fungus it if you know how. You can put it on ebay with a big notice "fungus!" for $2+shipping, and then buy a nice, clean Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (which is a much better lens than the DA L18-55mm)
It's of course worth noting that this isn't true. Any lens subject to the wrong conditions will develop fungus, cross-contamination isn't a thing.
02-21-2017, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's of course worth noting that this isn't true. Any lens subject to the wrong conditions will develop fungus, cross-contamination isn't a thing.
That's why I formulated things like that I have read that cross-contamination doesn't happen, but I completely understand the fear of it, and I do not wish to take responsibility for someone else's gear. And when its just a kit lens, I would personally err on the side of caution and replace it, or defungus it (there are some blogs out there that talk about this btw, OP)
02-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Again, my thanks to one and all for the comments and help - the lens is currently in quarantine inside a zip bag while I consider my next move. Fortunately, I also have the WR version of the kit lens, so its loss is not a major issue.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 02-21-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Missed out a word !
02-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That's why I formulated things like that I have read that cross-contamination doesn't happen, but I completely understand the fear of it, and I do not wish to take responsibility for someone else's gear. And when its just a kit lens, I would personally err on the side of caution and replace it, or defungus it (there are some blogs out there that talk about this btw, OP)
Well that's the misconception. Cross-contamination can't happen becauses the spores are in all lenses, it's unavoidable. Any lens subjected to damp conditions for long enough will grow fungus. At least, that's how @dcshooter explained it to me.