Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

To my eye, it looks like the design of the base of the Rode plug may not allow the business end of the plug to seat properly into the K-5II.

Perhaps find a slim, straight 3.5mm female to male plug adapter and plug your current plug into that, or perhaps gently shave off some of the plastic around the existing plug to make it less fat at the point where it needs to mate with the camera.

02-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #17

Original Poster
Here is a photo of the plug attached to my camera. You can see it is firmly seated as far as the metal ring on the mic plug will allow.

The mic appears to work as advertised, my computer works, and the camera's built-in mic works, so it seems we have narrowed the problem to the connection between the mic and the camera--specifically the seating of the mic jack into the camera (assuming the camera's mic input is not faulty).
Thank you to everyone who has attempted to assist me with my problem. I will try to locate an adapter as described by rawr. I will report back any success or failure I encounter.

A.D.
03-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

Original Poster
A stereo-to-mono adapter solved the problem. I now get sound out of both speakers.
The one I purchased cost $4.58 at Amazon. It was the C2G (Cables To Go) 03174 3.5mm Stereo Female to 3.5mm Mono Male Adapter.
So, the camera was not the problem, the mic was not the problem, and the jack was seated properly.

Thanks for all the help.

A.D.