Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #1

Odd light leaks and coloured lines appearing in photos? Pentax SV + SuperTakumar lens

So effectively on the entire 8 rolls of film I have shot, there have been these spotty light leaks on some of the photos, not all of them, or even a majority, and most of the time they look fine, just wondering where this could be from. A friend who is more into photography said it may be the lens that's causing it?

Also, ONLY in the last roll of film shot, a sort of greenish/turquoise multicoloured exactly horizontal line has appeared in every exposure, which has ruined some of the shots, as has the light leaks stated above. Wondering what on earth this could be, as I haven't seen it before in any other rolls shot.

I've attached a couple of photos to help show what I mean by light leaks, but I have no photos of the green line as I don't have digital copies of those yet.

Thank you so much for your help, all the best everyone! ))

Light leaked images for PentaxForums - Album on Imgur

02-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am by no means an expert, but here is what I think:
Since they are always in the same place, I kind of rule out processing and handling. Since it is not in all of them, I think it is not related to back body seals. However, thinking about it, I would check the shutter curtain and the mirror surroundings. A tiny hole in the shutter could probably cause something like this. I'd also inspect the shutter box, mirror area and back plate for any black paint loss. Any shiny spot can reflect unwanted light. Finally, inspect the lens for any cracks, dust or tiny bubbles that may cause flares. Do you have access to another lens (or body) to see if the issue follows the lens or the body?

Thanks,
02-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Given that the SV has a fabric shutter, it's entirely possible that it could be starting to perish. This can happen for a variety of reasons - exposure to heat, light, or simply age. Since the light leaks are inside the 24x36mm area of the negative, we can rule out the back door - if it was leaky they would originate at the edge of the film itself. As ismaelg said, it could also be flaking paint in the mirror box.

SVs are old enough that many of them are not quite right now. If the camera has sentimental value to you and you want to be using it, a good service by a good technician won't be horribly expensive and will make this relatively simple camera a reliable companion for a long time.
02-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Horizontal colored lines are usually scratches on the negative. Either from in the camera or during processing. On color film the color varies depending on the depth of the scratch through the various color layers of the emulsion.

It could be grit on the light trap of the film cassette or somewhere on the film path in the camera. A few of your photos were taken at the beach - you may have picked up some sand while loading the film. Check the film path in the camera. If the scratch is on only one roll of film or on different places on different rolls it is probably grit on the film cassette.

02-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Horizontal colored lines are usually scratches on the negative. Either from in the camera or during processing. On color film the color varies depending on the depth of the scratch through the various color layers of the emulsion.
They are not scratches; if you look at the photos they are the things that look like clouds in the first photo; the same thing appears in the second photo, but it is more obvious.
02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
They are not scratches; if you look at the photos they are the things that look like clouds in the first photo; the same thing appears in the second photo, but it is more obvious.
I'm not referring to the spots which are not colored to begin with, but to the horizontal lines the OP mentions

QuoteOriginally posted by andrew_oms Quote
Also, ONLY in the last roll of film shot, a sort of greenish/turquoise multicoloured exactly horizontal line has appeared in every exposure, which has ruined some of the shots, as has the light leaks stated above. Wondering what on earth this could be, as I haven't seen it before in any other rolls shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by andrew_oms Quote
but I have no photos of the green line as I don't have digital copies of those yet.
02-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm not referring to the spots which are not colored to begin with, but to the horizontal lines the OP mentions
Whoops, sorry.