Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Chlorinated water and filter coatings

Does anyone know whether chlorine water drops cause lasting defects in filter coatings? I had a UV filter on my lens taking this shot and a few tiny drops of pool water hit the lens. There are a dozen tiny spots that just do not go away. Glad I had the front lens element protected, just curious, as I can get another fiter.

03-02-2017, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

In all likelihood, the filter coatings are not nearly as effective as the front element coatings.
03-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know but that's a terrific photo.
03-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've shot many swim meets pool-side with no lens filter and I have not seen any adverse effects on the lens elements. I normally have a cloth to wipe off the lens if necessary so the water drops will not remain on the lens for very long. This was more out of concern for being ready for the next shot rather than to protect the lens. So I can't guarantee there will be no effect, but I have not had any problems.

03-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My experience has been the same as dave2k's -- no problems with pool-water splashes but I've never let the water sit for long.

My one bad experience with permanent water spots came from spray from Old Faith geyser in Yellowstone. The high mineral content of the water drops left permanent spots with a transparent mineral ring.
03-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mr. Ed. I'll try to clean my filter again. I washed the spots quickly and its just interesting to see these tiny spots. I doubt they will adversely effect a picture but I haven't had a chance yet to give it a try.
03-02-2017, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Since the pH of pool water is about 7.4, it is mildly alkaline. It may be worth trying to remove the spots using dilute vinegar on a lint-free cloth.

03-02-2017, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The spots are almost certainly from the "hardness" of the water, hardness being made up of dissolved minerals such as calcium, iron and manganese. As previously suggested, a dilute vinegar solution should remedy the problem. Vinegar is a weak acid that can gently dissolve mineral deposits.
03-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love science. I need to go back to school. The diluted vinegar did the trick! All spots successfully removed. Thanks!
03-04-2017, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I have to ask - were they on the 'Spotmatic' ?

Sorry
03-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These were on the K-3. The Spotmatic is hanging out with Kodak 800 inside - it comes out with the right conditions.
03-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
Does anyone know whether chlorine water drops cause lasting defects in filter coatings?
To have any appreciable effect upon glass and filter coatings the amount of free elemental chlorine present in the water would in all probability have devastating effects upon respiratory function* and cause chemical burns to skin.

Pool water, providing it is well maintained should be inert enough not to damage the filter coatings. Chloramine - which is that "pool water smell" you can detect is Ph neutral in solution, but it is still an oxidizer, so if your lens/camera get splashed give them a wipe down afterwards.

* While looking up some data on pool chlorine levels I came across a quack website offering water filters that "vibrate with the energy of the earth to purify your water" that website offered much amusement.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-05-2017 at 04:21 AM.
03-04-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
Does anyone know whether chlorine water drops cause lasting defects in filter coatings? I had a UV filter on my lens taking this shot and a few tiny drops of pool water hit the lens. There are a dozen tiny spots that just do not go away. Glad I had the front lens element protected, just curious, as I can get another fiter.

answer is no,magnesium fluoride is extremely durable.
03-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
answer is no,magnesium fluoride is extremely durable.
Indeed!

But I'd seriously worried about the neutrino coatings on Irix lenses!

Chlorine absorbs neutrinos!
03-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I swim laps a few days a week and my goggles do get some spots which clean off nicely with standard eyeglass cleaners.While I don't use a filter all the time, around water, mud, snow or any condition that could get something on the lens, a filter is useful. I worry more about scratching my front element in the process of cleaning it. If you're getting water splashed on your lens and shooting a lot, cleaning it in a hurry increases the chances of scratching.

The water out of my tap smells of chlorine also and leaves spots on clear glass if left to air dry. Since we're on the subject of spots left by pool water, I have to bring up this possibility.It's Not Chlorine That Turns Your Eyes Red in the Pool: IT'S PEE