Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do SD cards "wear out?"

Can you indefinitely re-use SD cards without loss of IQ? When shooting at or near home I'll end up with 20-60 or so shots on the card. I review in camera and delete the obvious. Then upload to computer and save what I like. Then delete all images from the card. Occasionally I reformat the card. Is there a point where I'll begin to lose IQ? Seems to good to be true that this could go on forever. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

03-03-2017, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Very good question DW. From what I have seen on the forums, the short answer to do they wear out is YES. But every bodies experience is different. I have not had any issues yet ( maybe just jinxed myself ). Over time, with removing and inserting the card, I think the contacts will wear out, and some cards will become corrupted. I did a little investigating on line and found this link. I hope that you and others might find it informative.

How to Fix SD Memory Card Errors: The Definitive Guide

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-03-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
03-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've had cards get corrupt after years of use. Not often and more often with cheap brands I no longer buy.

I've also had the cards flat out fall apart. Nothing lasts forever.
03-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks pjv. Am replying before I check out the link you provided. Thank you. Just recently began to think about this. Had been using the same card for quite some time and switched to a new one about two weeks ago. Using SanDisk Extreme 64's if that matters.

03-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Using SanDisk Extreme 64's if that matters.
That is a very good one buddy.
03-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've had cards get corrupt after years of use. Not often and more often with cheap brands I no longer buy.

I've also had the cards flat out fall apart. Nothing lasts forever.
Good news!!!. My oldest card is just over a year old. Guessing that number of images is more important than age though. Correct? They can't last too long or people wouldn't keep buying 'em. Of course technology keeps moving ahead doesn't it?
03-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

SD cards do have a limited number of read/write cycles. To extend their longevity, each card has reserved space to make up for broken/degraded, and this is automatically handled under the hood. All in all, this means that you can expect a good card to deliver years of heavy use. Many high-end cards have lifetime warranties, which says something about the manufacturers' confidence.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The write protection lock of one of my sd cards got broken off (mechanically) after a few years. Could still read but not write anymore. I tried to put sticky tape (like the old cassette tapes&#128540, but that didnt fix it. Probably a one off...
03-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No moving parts = little chance of failure! But obviously an SD card is an inherently small and flimsy thing, so care is required to keep them in good condition. But they should go for years, and when they start to go downhill it should be obvious - corrupted files and read errors that can't be fixed by formatting.

To give an answer to your suggestion, there shouldn't be any loss of image quality over the life of a card - it will just stop doing its job at some point. And SanDisk Extremes will generally do very good service.
03-03-2017, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
SD cards do have a limited number of read/write cycles. To extend their longevity, each card has reserved space to make up for broken/degraded, and this is automatically handled under the hood. All in all, this means that you can expect a good card to deliver years of heavy use. Many high-end cards have lifetime warranties, which says something about the manufacturers' confidence.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
The write protection lock of one of my sd cards got broken off (mechanically) after a few years. Could still read but not write anymore. I tried to put sticky tape (like the old cassette tapes&#128540, but that didnt fix it. Probably a one off...
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
No moving parts = little chance of failure! But obviously an SD card is an inherently small and flimsy thing, so care is required to keep them in good condition. But they should go for years, and when they start to go downhill it should be obvious - corrupted files and read errors that can't be fixed by formatting.

To give an answer to your suggestion, there shouldn't be any loss of image quality over the life of a card - it will just stop doing its job at some point. And SanDisk Extremes will generally do very good service.
Thank you all for the speedy replies. I dove head first into the digital age of photography and I'm finding out there's some basic principles I've missed along the way. No better place to learn than right
here.
03-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I find that I outgrow the capacity of a card before it actually wears out. Defective no-name cards are more of an issue for me. Like others, I mainly stick with SanDisk.
03-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I find that I outgrow the capacity of a card before it actually wears out. Defective no-name cards are more of an issue for me. Like others, I mainly stick with SanDisk.
More info. Thank you.
03-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've posted on this before (and got shouted at !) - I never format or re-use a memory card. After each day's shooting, I set write-protect on the card, then the images are immediately copied to PC via a built-in card reader, then checked with Irfanview.
I then replace the card in the camera, ready for the next day out. When the card (32GB comparatively inexpensive) is almost full, it is gracefully retired, the entire contents copied to a different hard drive, the card is stored safely and replaced with a brand new one. After all, 35mm film was not re-usable, so why treat SD cards differently ? It seems false economy to me to re-use a card when there is an easy alternative.
(Cowers in cellar, waits for flak to fly !)
03-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is memory on SD cards is fugitive over long periods.
03-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I've posted on this before (and got shouted at !) - I never format or re-use a memory card. After each day's shooting, I set write-protect on the card, then the images are immediately copied to PC via a built-in card reader, then checked with Irfanview.
I then replace the card in the camera, ready for the next day out. When the card (32GB comparatively inexpensive) is almost full, it is gracefully retired, the entire contents copied to a different hard drive, the card is stored safely and replaced with a brand new one. After all, 35mm film was not re-usable, so why treat SD cards differently ? It seems false economy to me to re-use a card when there is an easy alternative.
(Cowers in cellar, waits for flak to fly !)
I haven't heard about this kind of usage !