Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #1

K50 Changed battery whilst switched on - won't now switch on -

Grateful for some advice. Is it best to now leave battery in or remove it?

Tried the mains power adaptor but this does not work either.

---------- Post added 03-06-17 at 08:02 AM ----------

I just brushed the contacts and made sure battery was clean and it now works!

Instructions do say not to do this - but don't say what may happen if you do or how to fix it..........

Won't do this again.

03-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it do anything or just act totally dead?
03-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger28 Quote
Grateful for some advice. Is it best to now leave battery in or remove it?

Tried the mains power adaptor but this does not work either.

---------- Post added 03-06-17 at 08:02 AM ----------

I just brushed the contacts and made sure battery was clean and it now works!

Instructions do say not to do this - but don't say what may happen if you do or how to fix it..........

Won't do this again.
Did this myself with another Pentax model (a K5ll or maybe a K3 I think) and also a Canon compact. I got away with it with both cameras: probably because the camera, although on, was not actually doing anything at the time.

Although not a wonder cure, removing the existing battery and replacing it with same (if known to be fully charged) or your spare (again if known to be fully charged) can cure a number of different problems (e.g. mirror flopping for one). Brushing the contacts and making sure a battery is clean is however a good idea if a camera fails to activate and the battery is known to be fully charged, I think: belt and braces!

Glad you got away with it.

Cheers,

LoneWolf
03-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks all.

It just would not switch on.

But I would still like to know why this practice is a bad one, what damage can done and how it would be fixed - or is it always just a temporary problem?

03-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roger28 Quote
Thanks all.

It just would not switch on.

But I would still like to know why this practice is a bad one, what damage can done and how it would be fixed - or is it always just a temporary problem?
State of the current processing could be impacted. I imagine the main risk is a file getting damaged in mid-write. The lockup may always be temporary if that's the case. I just don't know and perhaps Pentax / Ricoh doesn't either.