Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metering and auto ISO issues with Pentax K3 + manual M42 lens

I recently got a Pentax k3. Mounted is a fully manual and pre-set M39 Jupiter-9 (with M39-M42 adaptor).

* Aperture ring is enabled in the menu.
* And I'm shooting in M-mode.

Here comes the problem(s):

Problem 1: Although in M mode - the camera is fixed on auto-ISO. I can't front-dial out of it.

When using the OVF, the green button works fine (although there is no EV scale showing).

Problem 2: In LCD-mode, the green button does not work, and no EV scale is visible. So there is no way to set the exposure, at all!

I really would appreciate is someone might know a way out of this.

((I might add - I used this lens with my K30 with no problems at all. In both OVF and LCD mode.))

Thanks in advance // Stefan

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
03-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you mean OVF?

Is the lens anodized or otherwise non-conductive?
03-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes - OVF. One letter mistake edited.
03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Yes - OVF. One letter mistake edited.
And the other question about the lens conductivity? That has been known to cause problems - it may vary across models.

03-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem solved for now: In AV mode metering was automatic, both in LCD and OVF. No need for the green button at all.
03-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently got a Pentax k3. Mounted is a fully manual (pre-set) M42 Jupiter-9.
Have you tried using your K-3 with other M42 lenses?

Problem 1: Although in M mode - the camera is fixed on auto-ISO. I can't front-dial out of it.
Auto-ISO is not available in M mode on the K-3, regardless of the lens mounted. Your observation concerns me.

When using the OVF, the green button works fine (although there is no EV scale showing).
That is expected.*

In M mode with non-A contact lenses, Edit: With the OVF in M mode, stop-down metering is available through two mechanisms, regardless of whether the base is conductive:
  • The green button
  • Optical DOF lever. This is the cool one in that it provides an EV scale in the optical viewfinder.

In LCD-mode, the green button does not work, and no EV scale is visible. So there is no way to set the exposure, at all!
Edit: I did not check this thoroughly. With conductive bases lenses the green button works in LV. If the lens base is non-conductive, stop-down metering using the green button does not work in LV.

I don't know what LCD-mode is, but in live view, the green button should still work regardless of whether the base is conductive. The EV scale on the rear LCD when used with lenses lacking the "A" contacts on the base is only active when setting exposure compensation.

Is it safe to assume that you can still manually set the shutter speeds using the e-dials?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is the lens anodized or otherwise non-conductive?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And the other question about the lens conductivity? That has been known to cause problems - it may vary across models.
This may be a concern, but maybe not. The K-3 plays nice with non-conductive base lenses except for catch-in-focus Edit: and green button metering in LV /Edit. With a full manual aperture the lens is always stopped down. As a result, stop-down metering should be available in Av mode, M mode using green button, and M-mode using DOF preview.

That being said, my J-9 (2007 MC model) has the most alarming behavior that may explain at least part of the OP's issues.
My J-9 does not always show F--- for the aperture.
It did when it was new, but as the base and mount threads have worn, sometimes the lens is detected as supporting aperture control from the body. That definitely screws with the metering unless I manually adjust the e-dial to f/2 to match the maximum aperture of the lens. One of these days I should send the lens off to dcshooter to be anodized or refresh the lacquer on the mount face to put an end to this silliness.

Back to the OP's concerns:
  • If you have auto-ISO in M mode on your K-3 there is reason for concern. Your camera is never supposed to do that.
  • Please double check that the green button is not consistently setting shutter speed with your J-9. The body should do a momentary meter reading and adjust the shutter regardless of whether a lens is even mounted.
Steve

* For lenses without "A" contacts having a conductive base, the EV scale in M mode will flash momentarily with green button push. If the lens base is non-conductive that does not happen.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.
03-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The title has an irrelevant error, but I mention it anyway since I can't change the title at this point:

The lens is a M39 silver (aluminium, LZOS, 1969) Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0. With a M39 to M42 adaptor / thread added.

The lens is tested earlier with a K-30. And has worked perfect, as any true M42, in every sense.

QuoteQuote:
Have you tried using your K-3 with other M42 lenses?
*** Just tried with a Meyer-Optik Görlitz Oreston 50mm f1.8 M42.

Both problems remain the same. During M-mode; (1) green button does not work in live view. (2) And in info-view, still stuck on auto iso.

QuoteQuote:
Auto-ISO is not available in M mode on the K-3, regardless of the lens mounted. Your observation concerns me.
Me too! In M mode and info view the auto ISO is marked as default setting and can't be changed no matter what. I at least managed to get it to auto ISO 100-125.

But, on the main LCD view (normal operation) I've been able to make it stick to the lower ISO 100 with the ISO button (but the default setting is still auto ISO 100-125).

Hope it makes sense.

QuoteQuote:
I don't know what LCD-mode is, but in live view, the green button should still work regardless of whether the base is conductive. The EV scale on the rear LCD when used with lenses lacking the "A" contacts on the base is only active when setting exposure compensation.
Yes - live view.

The green button does not work in live view, during M mode.

QuoteQuote:
The EV scale on the rear LCD when used with lenses lacking the "A" contacts on the base is only active when setting exposure compensation.
Thanks for the info.

QuoteQuote:
Is it safe to assume that you can still manually set the shutter speeds using the e-dials?
Yes!

But without any EV scale indicating correct exposure. As you say, EV scale only for compensation.

And if I compensated low, the LCD gets dark as expected. Using the green button at that point reset exposure compensation to zero (0) and the screen brightens up again.
But of course, the shutter speed reamin the same.

Using the green button when the EV compensation bar isn't present, and nothing happens. No change in shutter exposure / shutter speed.

QuoteQuote:
My J-9 does not always show F--- for the aperture.
Mine neither. As goes for my Görlitz 50mm and my Tair-11a.

QuoteQuote:
This may be a concern, but maybe not. The K-3 plays nice with non-conductive base lenses M42 lenses except for catch-in-focus.
Aperture on this K3, and my k30, has never been any concern. This Jupiter-9 is a pre-set lens. And my M-Görlitz 50mm has the pin modified.

(1) My issue is that the green button in M mode has no impact shutter speed. Automatic metering in AV mode works fine.
(2) And that I can't change the auto ISO default setting.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.
03-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Video or pictures of the camera screens might help people spot something.
03-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Video or pictures of the camera screens might help people spot something.
Maybe , but, the main issue is that in M mode and live view there is no response when using the green button.

If anyone else encountered the same problem I believe that sentence explains the problem clear enough.

The ISO-issue might just been an misunderstanding by me, either way is seems solved now, so no need to address that any further.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.
03-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Me too! In M mode and info view the auto ISO is marked as default setting and can't be changed no matter what. I at least managed to get it to auto ISO 100-125.
You should be able to change the auto-ISO range in info view regardless of exposure mode. You cannot set fixed ISO from info view. If you want to break out of auto-ISO, press the ISO button and use the e-dial to choose a fixed value.

Maybe , but, the main issue is that in M mode and live view there is no response when using the green button.
You are correct. I thought I tested this case last night, but apparently did not. In live view with a non-conductive lens mounted, the green button does not work for stop-down metering on my K-3 either.

This surprised me since I often use M42 lenses and thought I knew my camera pretty well. That being said, I seldom use live view. I will edit my comments above. (BTW...I am feeling like a complete idiot about now )

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.
03-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are correct. I thought I tested this case last night, but apparently did not. In live view with a non-conductive lens mounted, the green button does not work for stop-down metering on my K-3 either.

This surprised me since I often use M42 lenses and thought I knew my camera pretty well. That being said, I seldom use live view. I will edit my comments above. (BTW...I am feeling like a complete idiot about now )
I thought I remembered something about Liveview and non-conductive lenses. I'm glad I wasn't crazy but I wouldn't have sworn to it. LOL. Glad you tested this. I do not have any non-conductive lenses at the moment to test with.
03-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You cannot set fixed ISO from info view.
That was the reason for my misunderstanding.

QuoteQuote:

Thank you very much for verifying that. Then I know for sure it's not my specific camera. I was very surprised about it to, and honestly quite disappointed. No green button and no EV scale (except for compensation) leaves
M mode + live view + M42 (my preferred way) useless. Luckily K3 seems to exposure nicely in Av mode and live view.

Hehe no need feeling like an...., I'm gratefull you toke your time and confirmed. Thanks again.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-08-2017 at 01:31 AM.
03-08-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Craziest thing!

Just updated to the latest firmware V1.30, and now the green button works.

YES!!!
03-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Craziest thing!

Just updated to the latest firmware V1.30, and now the green button works.

YES!!!
Cool! I am back on v1.11. Perhaps I should step into the modern age, eh?

Steve