Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Trouble getting into PC Mode via USB Cable with K-5 II

I've done this a number of times in the past, but now I can't seem to get it to work. The camera never goes into PC Mode. The computer can see the K-5 II under Devices and even assigns it a drive letter (K: ) but doesn't show it in Explorer.

In Disk Management I see the K: drive but it says no data or something along those lines.. SD card in the slot.

I bought another USB cable.. it doesn't seem to affect the situation. I've tried MSC and PTP modes, different USB ports, different computers (Win 7 and Win 10). The closest I get is I can see the camera in Devices but cannot interact with it.

Am I missing a driver? Gremlins? Something easy to fix this?

To resolve a lot of frustrating and anger inducing posts I will say yes I'm in need of the USB port and PC mode, No an SD card reader will not help.

03-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a linux user so this may not be relevant. But any SD card equal to or larger than 64 gig needs drivers in linux to be mounted by the OS. Perhaps that is your problem?
03-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good thought and thanks for troubleshooting with me. However, I'm using 8 and 16GB cards.

I got the win7 PC to see my K-r with the same cable. So I'm thinking it is a driver issue or a camera settings issue. Hoping not a hardware issue.
03-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

mee, why not use a card reader? I know some of you prefer to hook the camera up to the PC with the USB cable, but did you know that drains your battery if you have a lot of photos to transfer?

As for the card size, I don't think what would be a problem on a Windows PC because I'm using a 128GB SDXC and have no problems on my Windows 7.

Something you could try. Go into Device Manager, click on the plus sign beside your entries for your USBs, uninstall, and reboot the computer. Computer will reinstall the USBs.

03-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
mee, why not use a card reader? I know some of you prefer to hook the camera up to the PC with the USB cable, but did you know that drains your battery if you have a lot of photos to transfer?

As for the card size, I don't think what would be a problem on a Windows PC because I'm using a 128GB SDXC and have no problems on my Windows 7.
No thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
To resolve a lot of frustrating and anger inducing posts I will say yes I'm in need of the USB port and PC mode, No an SD card reader will not help.
03-08-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry, I didn't read that last in your original post. Apologize for that oops.
03-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Try the last thing I said in my post.

03-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but doesn't show it in Explorer.
I found this to be a problem because there is a tick in the box under Folder Options/view tab. Look for an entry that says "hide empty drives in the computer folder" uncheck it, apply and okay out. Your drives will now show in Explorer.
03-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done this a number of times in the past, but now I can't seem to get it to work. The camera never goes into PC Mode. The computer can see the K-5 II under Devices and even assigns it a drive letter (K: ) but doesn't show it in Explorer.

In Disk Management I see the K: drive but it says no data or something along those lines.. SD card in the slot.

I bought another USB cable.. it doesn't seem to affect the situation. I've tried MSC and PTP modes, different USB ports, different computers (Win 7 and Win 10). The closest I get is I can see the camera in Devices but cannot interact with it.

Am I missing a driver? Gremlins? Something easy to fix this?

Stupid question: Have you tried it with a different SD card?
03-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. I've even tried without a card (and trying to connect to PKtether) which should see the camera. Nope either way.

Both ways work with the K-r though.

Both are set to MSC mode at the moment.
03-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The SD card being used should be fully formatted in the camera you are using prior to taking the images or using it in the computer. Use with other devices before the computer you are using other than your camera may effect the card depending on activity.

---------- Post added 03-08-17 at 08:33 PM ----------

You could possibly restore your computer to an earlier point in time (without losing files). That point being a time when you were communicating the computer and camera you are trying to read from.
03-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My random shots:

Since it has a drive letter, have you tried manually navigating to it in explorer? Click the address bar in any open folder and type in "K"?

Try restarting the computer with the camera plugged in and powered on?

Have you tried restoring the camera to factory default?

Do you have the latest camera firmware?

Best of luck!
03-08-2017, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. I got it working.. in a roundabout way.

My goal was to get back into the debug menu to convert my SDM lens to screwdrive. Turns out I didn't need the USB cable (into PKtether) to get to the debug menu.

Inserting:

[DEBUG_MODE EN]
[SW_DEBUG_MENU EN]
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
[VLENS_CONTROL]

Into the 00077680.536 file (instad of just the [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] as I was previously doing) actually let me access both debug mode and the deeper menu together. (With the K-5 II you need to keep the SD card door open and hold the MENU button while turning the camera on to get there)

I converted my SDM lens without issue. Then I was still playing around with the K-5 II trying to get the USB cable / mode working. Nothing was working until I disabled the debug mode in the camera. As soon as I did that the USB cable worked and the camera went into PC mode fully.... even though I didn't have debug mode enabled initially. I guess something needed to be cycled or something. Again strange (esp since I could see the Pentax camera just couldn't accses the SD data).

But it works now.
03-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear you got it sorted.
03-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Nice you were able to remedy the situation back to normal.