The M42 mount

03-17-2017, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
A few more pics:

The M42 mount
OK, well, that is what's commonly-known as a "flanged" adapter. It's bringing the mounting point of the lens slightly forward of the camera's own mount, and slightly forward of the correct registration distance for an M42 lens. As a result, you lose the ability to focus the lens to infinity... though I'm a little surprised by just how much of a difference the flange is making with your lens.

The next thing I'd try would be a non-flanged adapter. This fits into the camera's own mount and stays flush with the mounting ring (see attached photo). The third party adapters vary hugely in quality, but even the cheapest work well enough...
Attached Images

03-17-2017, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a non-infinity adapter.

This is an infinity adapter with an inner flange. But it costs several times what the lens would be worth...

CAMERA MITSUBA | Rakuten Global Market: Modern international M42 to PENTAX K Mount Adapter "instant delivery ~ 3 business days after shipping, black inner reflection to keep! Pentax screw mount lens can be attached to a K Mount body mount adapter

But if you were to invest in other lenses without the A/M switch it might be worth it...

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-17-2017 at 09:09 AM.
03-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
The OP has not specified (or I overlooked), but the Zeiss could be a 2-ring preset with no aperture stop-down pin. Just checking to see if the adapter could come into play.
Thank you both.

I am trying to post pics of the lenses, but I must have run out of quota.

They both have a silver pin in the same location.

---------- Post added 03-17-17 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK, well, that is what's commonly-known as a "flanged" adapter. It's bringing the mounting point of the lens slightly forward of the camera's own mount, and slightly forward of the correct registration distance for an M42 lens. As a result, you lose the ability to focus the lens to infinity... though I'm a little surprised by just how much of a difference the flange is making with your lens.

The next thing I'd try would be a non-flanged adapter. This fits into the camera's own mount and stays flush with the mounting ring (see attached photo). The third party adapters vary hugely in quality, but even the cheapest work well enough...
Thanks - I will order one(although probably not the Pentax original - they seem a tad pricy in the UK)

03-17-2017, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Robin,

I picked one up (genuine Pentax, second-hand) from my local dealer for a fiver - I can pop in there tomorrow and see if he has another, if you're interested.

Tony
03-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Robin,

I picked one up (genuine Pentax, second-hand) from my local dealer for a fiver - I can pop in there tomorrow and see if he has another, if you're interested.

Tony
That would be superb Tony.

Sorry I missed this earlier - if you could pop in when you are next going I will happily stump up a fiver (or up to a tenner) plus p&p.

I have a cheap Chinese version on order, but a real Pentax version would be a very nice to have.

Thanks,

Robin
03-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a cheap Chinese version on order, but a real Pentax version would be a very nice to have.
The cheap versions are fine - I have a couple I use on occasion - but the genuine Pentax article is much nicer quality, and is a little easier to fit and remove

My favourite of the flush-fitting M42 adapters is from Kipon (available on Amazon UK here). It's not cheap, but it's very high quality and well-finished. The reviews suggest to me that it's misunderstood. It has an internal flange that some believe is supposed to keep the aperture pin pushed down on auto lenses. Perhaps that is the intended purpose, and if so, it doesn't work for all lenses as it doesn't push the pin in far enough. However, that internal flange also protects the camera's SDM contacts. I have a couple of lenses (one is a Jupiter-21M) where the aperture pin is rather long and not well rounded off, and it gouged a groove into the SDM contacts on my K-5 when fitting and removing the lens. Had I been using the Kipon adapter, that wouldn't have happened...
03-19-2017, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The cheap versions are fine - I have a couple I use on occasion - but the genuine Pentax article is much nicer quality, and is a little easier to fit and remove

My favourite of the flush-fitting M42 adapters is from Kipon (available on Amazon UK here). It's not cheap, but it's very high quality and well-finished. The reviews suggest to me that it's misunderstood. It has an internal flange that some believe is supposed to keep the aperture pin pushed down on auto lenses. Perhaps that is the intended purpose, and if so, it doesn't work for all lenses as it doesn't push the pin in far enough. However, that internal flange also protects the camera's SDM contacts. I have a couple of lenses (one is a Jupiter-21M) where the aperture pin is rather long and not well rounded off, and it gouged a groove into the SDM contacts on my K-5 when fitting and removing the lens. Had I been using the Kipon adapter, that wouldn't have happened...
Thanks Mike,

I have added that to my Amazon wish list. I will wait and see if Tony can help (and what the cheap Chinese version does) first though.

03-19-2017, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I will wait and see if Tony can help (and what the cheap Chinese version does) first though
PM on its way.