Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Legacy lens and the green button

I am considering buying a Pentax DSLR to use with my old SMC M lenses. What I can not find out is what happens to the aperture after the 'green' button is pressed? Does the aperture stay stopped down or does it remain fully open to permit clear focusing?

03-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The green button just stops down to get exposure then goes back to wide open.
03-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will also get focus confirmation (green hexagon in the viewfinder) if you leave the camera set to autofocus with a non-autofocus lens.

And if you shoot your M-series lenses at widest aperture, you can also use Av mode (aperture priority) in addition to manual/green button.
03-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have not done so yet, please look/read these two articles for more information on the use of manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR and the Pentax Green Button Guide:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

I love my M 50mm f1.7 and it was only after reading the first mentioned article that I was able to use it correctly.
I prefer to use my K5 in M mode when I use manual lenses because I want to be in control of the DOF.
A word of caution: not all manual lenses meter correctly on the smaller lens openings (using the green button to obtain a reading) - mine tends to underexpose.

03-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Pheiffer Quote
A word of caution: not all manual lenses meter correctly on the smaller lens openings (using the green button to obtain a reading) - mine tends to underexpose.
This is probably because you are outside of the meter's range when trying to meter at small apertures.
03-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the replies. I am a retired Professional Engineering so if the specification is not clear then I assume a problem. All seems well so am I the first to go film-mirrorless- DSLR?
03-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Holmes Quote
All seems well so am I the first to go film-mirrorless- DSLR?
I don't know about that, but many here have gone film-DSLR-mirrorless. I'm sure some have even gone film-APS-C DSLR-mirrorless-FF mirrorless-FF DSLR...

03-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't know about that, but many here have gone film-DSLR-mirrorless. I'm sure some have even gone film-APS-C DSLR-mirrorless-FF mirrorless-FF DSLR...
Some have gone Compact film -> APSc dSLR -> film SLR -> FF dSLR.
03-13-2017, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You will also get focus confirmation (green hexagon in the viewfinder) if you leave the camera set to autofocus with a non-autofocus lens.
You get focus confirm even when the AF switch is on the manual setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Pheiffer Quote
The truth is that metering is fairly inconsistent for almost all lenses when using stop-down metering on modern dSLRs and can happen at both wide and narrow apertures. The causes are complex and related to the focus screens optimized for use on auto-focus cameras. The effect varies by both lens and aperture and is not easily countered by simply applying exposure compensation. Fortunately, current generation Pentax dSLRs behave much better than my K10D from 2007. That camera could vary as much as three stops over/under exposed between maximum and minimum aperture with some lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is probably because you are outside of the meter's range when trying to meter at small apertures.
This is a very important observation. The lower limit of meter sensitivity is very quickly reached when doing stop-down metering at even moderate apertures in dim light. As the meter loses sensitivity at lower light levels, underexposure is the result. The user manuals for legacy stop-down meter cameras such as the Pentax Spotmatic often came with a chart indicating the combination of shutter speeds and ASA/ISO that were outside the "coupling range". The Spotmatic goes so far as to have a red warning flag that displays when the combination of shutter speed and ASA/ISO is outside the meter's range. On that camera at ASA/ISO 100, the full range of apertures (f/1.4 - f/16) and shutter speeds (1s - 1/1000s) are available for metered exposure. At ASA/ISO 400, the lowest valid metered shutter speed increases to 1/4s. The meter needle will respond at lower speeds, but the reading will not be accurate.

The GPD and RGB meters on modern cameras are more sensitive, but the same concept applies. For example:

Stop-Down Meter Limit: Pentax K-70
(sensitivity 0 EV100)

ISOMax Exposure
1002s
2001s
4001/2s
8001/4s
16001/8s
32001/16s
64001/32s
(Calculated for f/1.4 from published meter sensitivity. Actual values may be different.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.
03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed; my M 50 1.4 bounces all over the place with green button use. Press it five times in a row a few seconds apart and I usually get at least two, usually three different exposures in M mode without me changing ISO or f-stop.

I use it as a rough guess and then go about doing it myself, usually with the newbie-style "point-click-check back screen-repeat" dance.
03-14-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks for all the replies. I am a retired Professional Engineering so if the specification is not clear then I assume a problem. All seems well so am I the first to go film-mirrorless- DSLR?
Hubris is a beautiful thing.
03-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The green button just stops down to get exposure then goes back to wide open.
My Kx has a green button and I will use this to get the correct exposure for a legacy lens as Zombie says. However, I have a K100D which doesn't have a green button and I think that to get the correct exposure I need to press the AE-L button when using a legacy lens. Now the Kx has both a green button and an AE-L button. Can I also use the AE-L button on my Kx to get the right exposure? I will check it out myself if nobody can give me a quick answer.
03-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Can I also use the AE-L button on my Kx to get the right exposure?
No

Steve
03-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No

Steve
Short and sweet. Thanks Steve
03-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
(Laughs)

There are people here who have done an *enormous* amount of photography, Neville.

Enjoy dusting off the old lenses!