Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New KP: newbie question

Hi, all. My KP just arrived. I'm new to Pentax and dslrs, having used only my Olympus m4/3 and Leica XVario the last several years. I hate to start off with such a silly question but is the viewfinder always so dark? I'm using the 15mm f/4 Limited lens, if that makes a difference. I haven't used a camera with an OVF since the '70's.

Thanks

Amy

Last edited by Astropaps; 03-16-2017 at 05:28 PM.
03-14-2017, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the lens, but it sounds like the aperture may not be opening properly between exposures. Does it expose correctly?
03-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not familiar with the lens, but it sounds like the aperture may not be opening properly between exposures. Does it expose correctly?
I 2nd this. I have both the camera and lens in question by the OP and never ran into troubles like this.
03-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With an optical viewfinder, an f/4.0 lens will give a darker viewfinder picture than an f/2.8 lens (half the light). EVF cameras can compensate for this, while OVF's can not.

03-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Yes, it exposes properly.

Amy

03-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Correct exposeur does not mean it also opens between exposeurs. Look into the lens from the fron, take an exposeur. If the blades open slowly, there is some problem with the lens. If it opens quickly and fully, then it's okey. In the second case, yes the optical viewfinder is dark.

(I have the camera, but not the lens and I have never used EVF.)
03-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me preface this response by saying that I don't own a KP but have many other Pentax bodies. The KP has a true pentaprism rather than a mirror and should be giving you a fairly bright view through the finder. As an experiment, you might try setting your DOF preview setting to optical and trying the stop-down trick with different aperture settings. On most Pentax bodies, this is done by rotating the On-Off switch further after the camera is switched on to the position indicated by the small aperture icon. If working properly, the only aperture that should not be obviously different is the F4.0 setting. All of the higher settings should darken the viewfinder substantially. Up to about 5.6 or 8.0, the viewfinder should remain fairly usable.

03-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think maybe the OP is not used to looking through an f4 lens. Yesterday I put my 50mm f1.2 on my KP and WOW, what a view!
03-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm assuming you are indoors. IMO compared to an illuminated EVF an F4 lens through an OVF will look dark.
03-14-2017, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I was trying it out last night and it just looked very dim because of the poor lighting. It seems to be working fine. I pointed it out a window this morning and the light through the viewfinder is just a bit darker than the lighting outside. I guess I just need to get used to using an OVF again. I'm experimenting with manual focus and focus peaking now. I'm trapped indoors all day because of the blizzard/nor'easter so it's a good opportunity to read the manual and experiment with settings.

My first impression of this camera: HEAVY. It feels very solid and rugged. The dials also seem pretty robust, especially compared to the first generation OM-D I had.

Thanks again for responding.

Amy
03-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Astropaps Quote
Thanks for your replies. I was trying it out last night and it just looked very dim because of the poor lighting. It seems to be working fine. I pointed it out a window this morning and the light through the viewfinder is just a bit darker than the lighting outside. I guess I just need to get used to using an OVF again. I'm experimenting with manual focus and focus peaking now. I'm trapped indoors all day because of the blizzard/nor'easter so it's a good opportunity to read the manual and experiment with settings.

My first impression of this camera: HEAVY. It feels very solid and rugged. The dials also seem pretty robust, especially compared to the first generation OM-D I had.

Amy
Awesome, glad it appears to be working. As others suggested something as simple as an 1.4 or 2.8 lens could make all the difference in how bright stuff appears. The DA15 F4 Limited has a near cult following on this website, I sure love mine. Good luck getting acquainted with your new KP.
03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A first shot. I was stuck inside during the blizzard/nor'easter/hurricane the day after the Pentax arrived so my subject choices were limited.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And one after the cold front blew the storm out. I ran out in the freezing cold and howling winds after setting the aperture and couldn't take the time to compose or adjust exposure before running back into the car:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astropaps Quote

Amy
I always like handing my K3II or previously the K5 to a lower-level Nikon shooter (Ti series etc) and watching their reaction at the weight and solidity of the camera. That and my K5 looks pretty beaten-up, I've been more careful with the K3II. Don't be afraid of letting it get wet, within reason.
03-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I always like handing my K3II or previously the K5 to a lower-level Nikon shooter (Ti series etc) and watching their reaction at the weight and solidity of the camera. That and my K5 looks pretty beaten-up, I've been more careful with the K3II. Don't be afraid of letting it get wet, within reason.
And if you have a WR lens, use a snowdrift as a tripod, or a rock in the middle of a stream. That'll get the attention of people used to babying their cameras. Last year I went on a guided hike and got rained on a bit. I kept taking pictures. The guide stopped in the middle of his talk and asked what kind of camera it was.