Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Tele-Astranar 1:6.3 f=400 mm doesn't fit on Pentax ME

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all,

I just signed up here because I've run into a problem. I have three older Model Pentax SLR cameras...an A3000 and two ME Supers. I was at a thrift store today, and found a Tele-Astranar 1:6.3 f=400 mm. I was pretty sure it would fit, mainly because it has what I have always called a bayonet mount with the three tabs on it. I tried it on one of the ME's and the mount is just a little too small to seat on the body. I don't really have a precise measurement for the mount on the lens itself, but it is roughly 1 5/8 inches. The opening in the body is right about 1 3/4 inches. Does anyone know where I could find an inexpensive size adapter to add a quarter inch to the lens side? From what I've seen of adapters so far, some of the pricing is way beyond reasonable. If anyone has some advice, please let me know, and thank you very much.

03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

From looking at the spec, it appears that the lens comes with a T2 mount thread, so all you need to do is replace the current T2 mount with a Pentax one : T2 LENS MOUNT ADAPTER PENTAX P/K BAYONET FITTING. | eBay
03-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
UMC

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend to post a picture of the mount, so that we could identify which bayonet the lens has.
However, 2 more cents from my side:
  • In my archive of lens data I can find a Tele-Astranar 1:6.3 f=400mm with a unversal T-mount - if this is the lens you bought you are fine, because then all you need is "T-Mount adaptor for K-bayonet"
  • If the lens has a fixed bayonet for a different camera brand, an adapter with glass inside would usually have a negative impact on image quality. Now that the Tele-Astranar isn't exactly what one would see as a first-tier lens anyway, I would give up the idea of making it even worse by using an adaptor.

Last edited by UMC; 03-16-2017 at 12:22 AM.
03-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to use t-mount, preset lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tele-astranar-400mm-f6-3.html

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-16-2017 at 06:06 AM.
03-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good advice above. It's possible that your lens is identical to the Spiratone 400mm f6.3 that was introduced I think in the early 1960's and was later sold under several other brand names with slightly different barrel designs, but the same lenses inside. It's actually a pretty decent telephoto, one of those "hidden gems" that's better-than-it-has-any-right-to-be-at-the-price. A local pro still uses one and thinks well of it.
03-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
From looking at the spec, it appears that the lens comes with a T2 mount thread, so all you need to do is replace the current T2 mount with a Pentax one : T2 LENS MOUNT ADAPTER PENTAX P/K BAYONET FITTING. | eBay
True. I used to have this lens. It's a T-mount lens.
03-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, I appreciate it. I have looked at some of those I have found on eBay, and my only concern with the listings is that they only say Pentax P/K Bayonet...will this also fit on either the A3000 or the ME Super? If so, I will be ordering one right away because the prices are pretty good. Thanks again.

03-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silverwolf109 Quote
Ok, I appreciate it. I have looked at some of those I have found on eBay, and my only concern with the listings is that they only say Pentax P/K Bayonet...will this also fit on either the A3000 or the ME Super? If so, I will be ordering one right away because the prices are pretty good. Thanks again.
Any T-mount called Pentax K or K-mount will fit any bayonet mount Pentax body all the way back to the very first and all the way up to a K1 or KP. The limitation is no electronic communication between the lens and the body. Also, all T-mount lenses are strictly preset or manual diaphragm control - there is no diaphragm actuating mechanism.
03-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
Alright, and once again thanks. I hope I described everything correctly, but just in case, I did take some pics this morning and would like to make sure, because the adapters I have been looking at seem to be threaded on bot sides, and none of my equipment is threaded, except for where it looks like the actual ends of the lenses are. I hate to be a pain in the butt, but I am just getting into a lot of this after almost thirty years away from it during my working life.
Attached Images

03-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that is a T-mount lens, and it certainly looks like one, you should be able to twist off the knurled ring that is integral with the bayonet mount and simply replace it with a T-mount for Pentax K.
03-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The T mounts that I have are held on to the lens with three equally spaced grub screws in the knurled part. You unscrew them a few turns and the mount detaches from the lens. The lens end of the mount is a dovetailed groove.
03-27-2017, 03:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the first image you posted, the one of the lens from the back end. there appears to be a silvery grub or lock screw. Loosen or even remove that screw and any others around the knurled ring, then try to remove the mount either by slipping it off or unscrewing it. If it is a screw-on T-mount, getting a Pentax K T-mount to replace it will be simple and not very expensive. If, as Pentasonic49 suggests, it is a dovetail fitting held by three grub screws rather than just one locking screw, it will be much more difficult to find a Pentax mount for it.
03-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
The T mounts that I have are held on to the lens with three equally spaced grub screws in the knurled part. You unscrew them a few turns and the mount detaches from the lens. The lens end of the mount is a dovetailed groove.

The grub screws do not hold the adapter to the lens. The adapter actually consists of two pieces. One piece has the camera mount, while the other has the fine threads to connect to the lens.

The grub screws are there to allow you to align the focus and aperture markings so that they are on the top of the lens.

The adapter simply unscrews from the lens. It is simply a friction fit. There is no locking mechanism.

Its possible that the adapter the OP has is really a Nikon F-mount, which is very similar to a Pentax K-mount. Are there any markings on the adapter? If it is a Pentax mount, it should have P/K engraved on it somewhere. If it is a Nikon mount, it will have NI or N engraved.
03-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The grub screws do not hold the adapter to the lens. The adapter actually consists of two pieces. One piece has the camera mount, while the other has the fine threads to connect to the lens.

The grub screws are there to allow you to align the focus and aperture markings so that they are on the top of the lens.

The adapter simply unscrews from the lens. It is simply a friction fit. There is no locking mechanism.

Its possible that the adapter the OP has is really a Nikon F-mount, which is very similar to a Pentax K-mount. Are there any markings on the adapter? If it is a Pentax mount, it should have P/K engraved on it somewhere. If it is a Nikon mount, it will have NI or N engraved.
I have a couple T-mounts, neither has that alignment mechanism. BTW: I use them for 1) attaching a camera to a small refracting telescope (2" eyepiece opening, with no eyepiece there's a no-lens tube with a male T-thread for attaching a camera; 2) I have a long T-tube and with a camera mounted at one end I can mount a microscope objective at the other using an RMS thread to T-thread adapter.
03-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have a couple T-mounts, neither has that alignment mechanism. BTW: I use them for 1) attaching a camera to a small refracting telescope (2" eyepiece opening, with no eyepiece there's a no-lens tube with a male T-thread for attaching a camera; 2) I have a long T-tube and with a camera mounted at one end I can mount a microscope objective at the other using an RMS thread to T-thread adapter.
A T-mount lens DEFINITELY has a threaded mount. It is similar to the M42 screw mount lenses used by earlier Pentax cameras, such as the Spotmatic. However, the thread is 42mm x 0.75 t/mm, while the M42 is 42mm x 1.0 t/mm. The t-mount lens also allows for the thickness of the adapter.

What you describe is exactly what I was talking about. The grooved part is the threaded portion. It may be on your lenses too tightly to remove easily, but it is definitely not part of the lens. You do have the alignment mechanism. You loosen the three screws and turn the lens until the aperture/focus markings are on top, then re-tighten the screws.

Unless your adapter is frozen to the lens, the entire adapter should just unscrew from the lens.

T-mount - Wikipedia