Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it the technology or is it just me?

So as an experiment, I bought myself a Meike MK-PT01 flash cable for Pentax camera and speedlite, a device which claims to "support TTL flash exposure control while using the flash off-camera". This is in lieu of chasing after the genuine article.

I have so far tried this device with my AF280T on my *istDS and my AF540FGZ-II on my K-5 and in neither case does the flash even fire, let alone "support TTL". I am, insofar as I can tell, correctly matching "live" pins on both hotshoe and flash to "live" pins on the unit's hotshoe attachment and flash-receiving end, and using the device under conditions which would reasonably require the use of flash.

There is a fifth "pin", which goes into the unused pin on the hotshoe to act as a locking device, with an actuator to retract it for removal.

Have I been had? Have I merely got a faulty unit? Or is there something I am unaccountably (in my jetlag and work-induced tiredness) doing wrong?

03-15-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 only supports P-TTL. The last Pentax DSLR to support TTL was the *ist DS. The AF-540FGZ II doesn't support TTL either...The older AF-540FGZ did as it pre-dated DSLRs...it was the first Pentax flash with P-TTL...
03-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is a pass-through cable and should at very least fire the flash in manual mode with the body in X mode. If the feature (TTL, P-TTL) works with the flash directly attached to the camera, it should work through the cable.

Steve
03-15-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You guys beat me to the mea culpa - it was me; I wasn't pushing the hotshoe module in far enough.

*headdesk*

Too much jetlag plus overwork on day 1 back plus formalin fume headache.

I am now set up to smoothly and easily digitise my B&W negatives straight to jpeg on the K-5 if I should wish to do so. For rapid upload to social media, this may be all I need. Colour is still an issue - direct reversal in the K-5's inversion filter results in a horrific blue cast (secondary to the orange film mask) that needs to be countered, but this is a separate problem which I am sure I can solve in time.

03-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Path,
If you have a multimeter, try to prove continuity, and that the basic centre pin will fire a most basic old flash.
-Maybe with a film camera and an old manual flash.

The Japanese hot shoe design was a bit of a mongrel in my opinion, too weak for the flash unit weights etc.
Also the flash clamps are a bit disconcerting because in mechanically tightening the flash body
they unload the contact pressure on the electrical pins !
So we see reference to "wobble the unit till it connects" etc

Years ago I purchased the real Pentax parts. They were expensive, but they still work OK
https://app.box.com/s/3t1h7jpcpdxg52dvpc6yku7vw9rlcp0j

Edit, sorry I posted before reading that you fixed it.
Anyway the "not pushing forward" against the varying springs is another design deficiency in my opinion.
03-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-5 only supports P-TTL. The last Pentax DSLR to support TTL was the *ist DS. The AF-540FGZ II doesn't support TTL either...The older AF-540FGZ did as it pre-dated DSLRs...it was the first Pentax flash with P-TTL...
The af540FGZ supports both TTL and p-TTL. It works just fine with legacy lenses on my *istD and with new lenses on my K10, K7 and K5

I have an OEM cable that came with my AF500FTZ. I don't know why the new flashes don't come with the cable

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 03-15-2017 at 04:39 PM.
03-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I suppose the good old USA "Rochester Iron" solution was reliable,
using the standard 120 volt household plug/sockets.
But when your kids plug your favorite flash into the wall socket
"one Flash and its Ash !"
https://app.box.com/s/tmkvx5x5y0exig6xgxtkdp7asi7wg6l1

Last edited by wombat2go; 03-16-2017 at 06:21 AM.
03-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The af540FGZ supports both TTL and p-TTL.
But the AF540FGZ II doesn't support TTL. Just P-TTL.
03-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Careful with the formalin. Back in another life, worked with a pathologist who developed a severe sensitivity to formalin such that he could not enter the section of the building where the histology lab was located. Happily, he did a segue into medical law so all was not lost.

Steve
03-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Careful with the formalin. Back in another life, I worked with a pathologist who developed a severe sensitivity to formalin such that he could not enter the section of the building where the histology lab was located. Happily, he did a segue into medical law so all was not lost.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-16-2017 at 10:15 AM.
03-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hope he sued his employer !
03-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
You can't, not within reason. It's part of the job, and you know this from day one of your training. It would be like willingly joining the army during a major shooting war and then suing your generals simply because you were wounded.
03-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
He was a senior partner...not a good idea...

Steve