Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #1

55-300 DA problem

Hi. Has anyone else ever had a problem with a strange object appearing inside their lens ? This is about a year old and just noticed it today. It apprears to be a small plastic tube stuck to the inside of he lens. Any insight would be appreciated.

03-16-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Andy, welcome to the forums

That's very odd. It looks to me like something that was left inside the lens rather than a piece that has come loose. Either way, it's not right!

I have the HD DA55-300 and whilst I'm not using it much right now, I've had plenty of good, reliable use from mine. I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem you've experienced.

Did you buy the lens new from a UK or European supplier? If so, it should still be covered under warranty.
03-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello Andy, welcome to the forums

That's very odd. It looks to me like something that was left inside the lens rather than a piece that has come loose. Either way, it's not right!

I have the HD DA55-300 and whilst I'm not using it much right now, I've had plenty of good, reliable use from mine. I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem you've experienced.

Did you buy the lens new from a UK or European supplier? If so, it should still be covered under warranty.

I purchased it online from Jessops so should not be a problem getting it sorted if it's a fault......I hope
Thanks for the reply
03-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andyfowler Quote
I purchased it online from Jessops so should not be a problem getting it sorted if it's a fault......I hope
Thanks for the reply
You're welcome.

You'll be absolutely fine with Jessops

03-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well Jessops were a great help. They said it was wear and tear and stuff like that can get into a weather resistant lens !!! They refused to replace the lens and told me I had to go back to Pentax or they could charge me to send it away
03-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wear and tear? Any way of talking with someone else in the company? That's just bizarre!
03-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sounds as if they didn't understand the issue - are you close to a branch that you could take it into and show someone ? To me, it looks like a small piece of electrical cable outer casing - no way could that have got in from outside without a hole in the lens !

03-20-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well Jessops were a great help. They said it was wear and tear and stuff like that can get into a weather resistant lens !!! They refused to replace the lens and told me I had to go back to Pentax or they could charge me to send it away
With that kind of service, some wonders why B&M stores are deserted and complains that people are buying online instead...
03-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I cannot open the picture, if one was posted, so I'll have to guess what the problem is.
The lens is only sealed when it is on the camera.
If the lens is removed from the camera body and zoomed to 300mm, there is a huge hole at the rear for ingress of foreign bodies which might find their way into view.
03-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Sounds as if they didn't understand the issue - are you close to a branch that you could take it into and show someone ? To me, it looks like a small piece of electrical cable outer casing - no way could that have got in from outside without a hole in the lens !
I did take it into the shop and show them the problem. He still thought it could get into it via wear and tear.
Great advert for Jessops isn't it

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I cannot open the picture, if one was posted, so I'll have to guess what the problem is.
The lens is only sealed when it is on the camera.
If the lens is removed from the camera body and zoomed to 300mm, there is a huge hole at the rear for ingress of foreign bodies which might find their way into view.
Thanks for that, I will take another look. Maybe it has come from the camera

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 08:01 AM ----------

Thank you Pentasonic49. I now have an exit route for the offending article, now I just need to convince it to detach itself from the rear of the lens

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 08:09 AM ----------

Thank you Pentasonic49. I now have an exit route for the offending article, now I just need to convince it to detach itself from the rear of the lens
03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I always fit the rear cap as soon as the lens is removed from the camera just in case something gets inside, and don't leave a body laying about without a body cap or lens in place.
If you can, get an expert opinion from a lens repairer as to what your next move is.
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I did take it into the shop and show them the problem. He still thought it could get into it via wear and tear.
Great advert for Jessops isn't it
Don't accept that. Insist that the lens has been properly cared for, and stand firm in your belief that a manufacturing defect has resulted in something inside the lens coming loose. They aren't responsible for providing you with a new lens, but they should assist you with who to send it to for warranty repair (that would be at your own cost, but that's the same with any lens manufacturer).
03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Right click, then open in new tab / window
03-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #14

Original Poster
Update on my lens.
I sent the lens off to Penta for repair. They reported back that the lens had been tampered with, had parts missing and the object was from the rear barrel. This would seem to indicate to me that the lens Jessops sold me was second hand. I have sent a complaint off to Jessops but no reply forthcoming.
Not impressed at all.
04-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update on my lens.
I sent the lens off to Penta for repair. They reported back that the lens had been tampered with, had parts missing and the object was from the rear barrel. This would seem to indicate to me that the lens Jessops sold me was second hand. I have sent a complaint off to Jessops but no reply forthcoming.
Not impressed at all.
Ouch. Sounds like you may have to make this a small claims court issue if they don't play ball. Sounds like you have pretty good advice that what you were sold was not new.

Here's some pretty good advice as to your rights: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.