Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selecting an SD card for a Pentax K50

I want to know if my current SD card for my K50 has any limitations for my type of photography. I may go on vacations that last up to 3-4 weeks and I may take up to about 2000 shots. My current card is labeled San Disk SDHC 32 GB, HCI, 4, whatever that means. I don't usually do video, and I don't usually take rapid multiple exposures, but I may in the future. So far I haven't found it to be a problem. I am also not too concerned about the speed of uploading my photos. Can anyone tell me if this card will continue to be suitable if I begin to take multiple fast shots and video in the future. Will a more advanced SD card give me sharper images? Thanks for any advice you may give.

03-17-2017, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I want to know if my current SD card for my K50 has any limitations for my type of photography. I may go on vacations that last up to 3-4 weeks and I may take up to about 2000 shots. My current card is labeled San Disk SDHC 32 GB, HCI, 4, whatever that means. I don't usually do video, and I don't usually take rapid multiple exposures, but I may in the future. So far I haven't found it to be a problem. I am also not too concerned about the speed of uploading my photos. Can anyone tell me if this card will continue to be suitable if I begin to take multiple fast shots and video in the future. Will a more advanced SD card give me sharper images? Thanks for any advice you may give.
The card has no effect on image quality. However, fast and reliable cards have become really cheap, and if that's a class 4 card then I think you should upgrade to something faster, as you will be able to tell the difference during shooting, playback, and download.

I'd recommend this card:
SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory SDSDXXG-064G-GN4IN

It will deliver optimal performance with the K-50 and likely many future bodies, and it also has a lifetime limited warranty.

See also:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam, for your advice.
03-18-2017, 04:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You might also want to consider the issue of potential card failure or lose. I shoot on a high number of lower capacity cards, back each one up as soon as I can after removing it from the camera, and lock/keep the cards secure until I'm home and all my images are uploaded to my multiple storage hard drives.

OTT? Yes, but i wouldn't want to lose or risk losing more than a few hours of shots at any one time, let alone days or weeks worth.

03-19-2017, 04:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
You might also want to consider the issue of potential card failure or lose. I shoot on a high number of lower capacity cards, back each one up as soon as I can after removing it from the camera, and lock/keep the cards secure until I'm home and all my images are uploaded to my multiple storage hard drives.

OTT? Yes, but i wouldn't want to lose or risk losing more than a few hours of shots at any one time, let alone days or weeks worth.
Good advice John. I carry an iPad while traveling and I think I will upload my pics periodically. Never bothered to do it before, but better to play it safe. Thanks.
03-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
f22

Look for read/write speeds of 80, 95 or even higher. Cards that are Class 10 or U3 are able to keep pace with fast continuous shot bursts or 4k video. If the camera's buffer has to wait to write its contents to the card, you might miss a keeper shot. I use Samsung Pro+ and PNY High Performance in my K50 and KP. Watch out for counterfeit (priced well below the reputable websites or Refurbished at low price). Agree that smaller capacity and many cards is better in case of malfunctioning.
03-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

How and what do you shoot? Do you tend to shoot pics in a number of bursts? Do you shoot video? Do you shoot pics slowly? Those things determine what kind of card you need.

03-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use...

SanDisk 32GB Extreme PLUS UHS-I SDHC Memory SDSDXWF-032G-ANCIN

...Which I get for 20 bucks at Costco...

Or these when they are on sale for 15...

SanDisk 32GB Extreme UHS-I SDHC Memory Card SDSDXVE-032G-GNCIN

...I prefer a slightly smaller sized card just because I can write dates on them to archive once used and they are inexpensive...
03-19-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #9

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that you shouldn't waste money on a pro-level high speed card on the K-50.

The K-50 can't write very fast at all (20 MB/sec) and even the fastest Pentax K-3ii can only write ~37 MB/sec, as shown in the comparison below. Any faster card like the extreme pro or extreme plus would be wasted because the limiting factor is the camera's writing speed, not the write speed capability of the card. So even when you're maxing out your camera's burst capability, it simply can't write any faster than the numbers given above. The price difference isn't huge since all cards are pretty cheap now, but why waste money on overkill? Also the costs can add up if you buy multiple cards or larger capacities.

Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

For example (all based on my own testing or tests found on the internet, speeds are usually a bit slower in camera)

The SanDisk Extreme Pro (current gen 95 MB/s read) writes as fast as 80 MB/s. Overkill, unless you want to pay more for futureproofing. I prefer to deal with whatever future tech when it arrives, but that's a personal preference.

The SanDisk Extreme (current gen 90 MB/s read) writes at 40 MB/s in 32 GB or 64 GB forms, 60 MB/s for 128 GB. These cards are already limited by the write speed of the K-3ii. I've been using this card family in my K-1
The SanDisk Ultra (current gen 80 MB/s read) writes in the 15-20 MB/s range for 32 GB/64 GB, while closer to 40 MB/s for 128 GB. This card would be close to maxing out the K-50's theoretical write speed.
The Lexar Professional 633X UHS-I (current gen 95 MB/s read) writes in the 45 MB/s range for 32 GB/64 GB, a bit faster for 128 GB. I'm currently using this card in my K-50. Not as "name brand" as SanDisk, but still works great and is quite cheap.

32 GB Prices (all from B&H)
SanDisk Extreme Pro: $22.95
SanDisk Extreme: $16.99
SanDisk Ultra: $12.95
Lexar 633X: $14.95

64 GB Prices
SanDisk Extreme Pro: $34.95
SanDisk Extreme: $28.89
SanDisk Ultra: $21.95
Lexar 633X: $24.95

A 64GB card gives me ~1700 pictures of RAW + JPEG on the K-50. I'd recommend getting one of those cards if you're planning on taking about 2000 on your trip. I do transfer shots that I really like as soon as I can to minimize the risk of data loss. If it were up to me I'd get an Extreme if I planned on a taking a lot of bursts, and if I wasn't I'd just get the Ultra.

Furthermore, I would strongly recommend you AVOID buying cards on Amazon, even from Amazon directly (and not a 3rd party seller). Instead, buy from a reputable place like B&H or Adorama. There are plenty of reviews indicating that they have a serious issue with counterfeit cards. If you get one of those, you'll see extremely slow speeds and might not get the size you ordered. 3rd party "fulfilled by Amazon" stock is mixed with Amazon's own stock, and some unscrupulous 3rd party sellers will be selling fake cards, so there's a chance you'll get one even if you order from Amazon.
03-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
How and what do you shoot? Do you tend to shoot pics in a number of bursts? Do you shoot video? Do you shoot pics slowly? Those things determine what kind of card you need.
I haven't yet done videos, or shot photos in a burst, but I may do so in future. So I need to get a card that will handle this.
03-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twomonger Quote
I'm going to be a contrarian and say that you shouldn't waste money on a pro-level high speed card on the K-50.

The K-50 can't write very fast at all (20 MB/sec) and even the fastest Pentax K-3ii can only write ~37 MB/sec, as shown in the comparison below. Any faster card like the extreme pro or extreme plus would be wasted because the limiting factor is the camera's writing speed, not the write speed capability of the card. So even when you're maxing out your camera's burst capability, it simply can't write any faster than the numbers given above. The price difference isn't huge since all cards are pretty cheap now, but why waste money on overkill? Also the costs can add up if you buy multiple cards or larger capacities.

Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

For example (all based on my own testing or tests found on the internet, speeds are usually a bit slower in camera)

The SanDisk Extreme Pro (current gen 95 MB/s read) writes as fast as 80 MB/s. Overkill, unless you want to pay more for futureproofing. I prefer to deal with whatever future tech when it arrives, but that's a personal preference.

The SanDisk Extreme (current gen 90 MB/s read) writes at 40 MB/s in 32 GB or 64 GB forms, 60 MB/s for 128 GB. These cards are already limited by the write speed of the K-3ii. I've been using this card family in my K-1
The SanDisk Ultra (current gen 80 MB/s read) writes in the 15-20 MB/s range for 32 GB/64 GB, while closer to 40 MB/s for 128 GB. This card would be close to maxing out the K-50's theoretical write speed.
The Lexar Professional 633X UHS-I (current gen 95 MB/s read) writes in the 45 MB/s range for 32 GB/64 GB, a bit faster for 128 GB. I'm currently using this card in my K-50. Not as "name brand" as SanDisk, but still works great and is quite cheap.

32 GB Prices (all from B&H)
SanDisk Extreme Pro: $22.95
SanDisk Extreme: $16.99
SanDisk Ultra: $12.95
Lexar 633X: $14.95

64 GB Prices
SanDisk Extreme Pro: $34.95
SanDisk Extreme: $28.89
SanDisk Ultra: $21.95
Lexar 633X: $24.95

A 64GB card gives me ~1700 pictures of RAW + JPEG on the K-50. I'd recommend getting one of those cards if you're planning on taking about 2000 on your trip. I do transfer shots that I really like as soon as I can to minimize the risk of data loss. If it were up to me I'd get an Extreme if I planned on a taking a lot of bursts, and if I wasn't I'd just get the Ultra.

Furthermore, I would strongly recommend you AVOID buying cards on Amazon, even from Amazon directly (and not a 3rd party seller). Instead, buy from a reputable place like B&H or Adorama. There are plenty of reviews indicating that they have a serious issue with counterfeit cards. If you get one of those, you'll see extremely slow speeds and might not get the size you ordered. 3rd party "fulfilled by Amazon" stock is mixed with Amazon's own stock, and some unscrupulous 3rd party sellers will be selling fake cards, so there's a chance you'll get one even if you order from Amazon.
Thanks Twomonger for your detailed advice. I have already followed Adams advice, given above, and ordered a 64MB SanDisc Extreme PRO SDXC card from Amazon. It costs $38 with free shipping, which seems reasonable. It will allow me to safely handle all my future needs for my K50. I am now concerned by your warning that cards from Amazon may be doctored. I thought that Amazon was beyond reproach in their marketing. Now I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to test the new card to see if it is suspect. Thanks for your information.
03-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I haven't yet done videos, or shot photos in a burst, but I may do so in future. So I need to get a card that will handle this.
I understand. The reason I asked is because I often shoot video, but when I'm shooting stills, I rarely shoot pics in bursts. Therefore, I can get by with the cheapest, slowest cards for my still photography. I delegate my faster, more expensive cards for video.
03-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I understand. The reason I asked is because I often shoot video, but when I'm shooting stills, I rarely shoot pics in bursts. Therefore, I can get by with the cheapest, slowest cards for my still photography. I delegate my faster, more expensive cards for video.
Thanks TaoMaas. Appreciate your comment.
03-21-2017, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
40mbs a second is good enough ....although the fastest ive shot is 6.5 crop mode on the K1...6 on the K50.Any class 10 card will be OK for 1080p video.