Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 with 5Mb File JPG how large can I print on Canvas

Hi

I've got a 5Mb JPEG taken with a K5, how large would I be able to print if I was printing on canvas? JPEG recorded pixels was set at 10M and JPEG quality set at 4 stars.

Cheers
Frank

03-18-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Hi

I've got a 5Mb JPEG taken with a K5, how large would I be able to print if I was printing on canvas? JPEG recorded pixels was set at 10M and JPEG quality set at 4 stars.

Cheers
Frank
You should always shoot at maximum resolution (16MP) when taking photos that you want to print, otherwise you're just risking having lower print quality. JPEG filesize doesn't increase by much when you do so.

A "very good" print is typically made at 300 DPI. A 10Mp photo is roughly 3800 px across, so 3800/300 = about 12.5 inches. Expect a "very good" 12x8 print.

A "good" print might have 200 DPI, by the same calculation you're looking at a 19x13 print.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2017, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You should always shoot at maximum resolution (16MP) when taking photos that you want to print, otherwise you're just risking having lower print quality. JPEG filesize doesn't increase by much when you do so.

A "very good" print is typically made at 300 DPI. A 10Mp photo is roughly 3800 px across, so 3800/300 = about 12.5 inches. Expect a "very good" 12x8 print.

A "good" print might have 200 DPI, by the same calculation you're looking at a 19x13 print.
Thanks Adam.

Another question if I may. If I wanted to print poster size should I be shooting in RAW with my K5? Will this give me the resolution I need to get to print to this size?

Cheers
Frank.
03-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam.

Another question if I may. If I wanted to print poster size should I be shooting in RAW with my K5? Will this give me the resolution I need to get to print to this size?

Cheers
Frank.
Shooting in raw won't increase your resolution beyond 16 megapixels, but you'll get less noise and clearer details. This will definitely translate to higher quality prints, especially if you plan to print below 300 dpi. The tradeoff is a larger filesize and the need to post-process.

At 16 Mp you can make 24x16 inch prints at roughly 200 dpi, which should be fine if people will be viewing the image at a distance.

If you want to print even bigger, the K-3 or K-1 would be the way to go. With no AA filter and 24/36 megapixels, those bodies give you a lot more flexibility.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Shooting in raw won't increase your resolution beyond 16 megapixels, but you'll get less noise and clearer details. This will definitely translate to higher quality prints, especially if you plan to print below 300 dpi. The tradeoff is a larger filesize and the need to post-process.

At 16 Mp you can make 24x16 inch prints at roughly 200 dpi, which should be fine if people will be viewing the image at a distance.

If you want to print even bigger, the K-3 or K-1 would be the way to go. With no AA filter and 24/36 megapixels, those bodies give you a lot more flexibility.
Thanks again Adam, I appreciate your advice. Must say that the K1 looks impressive from what I have seen. Something that is certainly on the wish list .

Cheers
Frank
03-18-2017, 05:26 AM   #6

There is more to consider than pixels. For example, how well focused is the image? How much cropping has been done? I have printed 24x16 inch images from a 12MP camera, and while held at arms length they do not look so great, in a frame behind glass, mounted on a wall and viewed from say 6 feet, they look just fine. Matt or semi-gloss looks better than gloss. If it is a really good photo with sentimental value, go for it. You might also look at one of the "painting" software options (Fotosketcher is free). Convert the photo to a simulated oil painting and even a poor image might look good enough to display. As a last resort, I have printed poster size images and given them over to my wife who works with acrylics and she has painted right over the photo and the results are fantistic.
03-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
There is more to consider than pixels. For example, how well focused is the image? How much cropping has been done? I have printed 24x16 inch images from a 12MP camera, and while held at arms length they do not look so great, in a frame behind glass, mounted on a wall and viewed from say 6 feet, they look just fine. Matt or semi-gloss looks better than gloss. If it is a really good photo with sentimental value, go for it. You might also look at one of the "painting" software options (Fotosketcher is free). Convert the photo to a simulated oil painting and even a poor image might look good enough to display. As a last resort, I have printed poster size images and given them over to my wife who works with acrylics and she has painted right over the photo and the results are fantistic.
Thanks wsteffey.

Cheers
Frank

03-18-2017, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I wanted to print poster size should I be shooting in RAW with my K5?
This will give you the most to work with for printing, so yes aim to shoot in RAW but as mentioned you will need to do some work in post. If you're not printing yourself a local company that might provide some info for you are these guys: FAQ - Brilliant Prints - Brilliant Prints They don't just do canvas printing, scroll to the bottom of the page for the options they provide. Of course there are other local printers too and they can assist with the file type, resolution/viewing distance and medium options.

Something else that will aid in increasing print size options is On1 resize. It is available as a stand alone product or as a part of Photo RAW. It's one of the best options for increasing the resolution of your image without loss of detail. This is something that would need to be tested in print, but I will leave that up to you if it interests you. Check it out here: Products – ON1, Inc.

Tas
03-18-2017, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a 20*30 inch canvas print on my wall that I shot with a 10Mp K10. It looks great, but it also has the sort of subject matter (an oak-lined path) that is forgiving to the lower resolution.

So you can print big with 10Mp, but not always...

And with a K5, you get 16, so I'd suggest you use all of it if you can.

-Eric
03-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tas and Eric.

Cheers.
Frank
03-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You may want to check the spec/requirements for the printer, but most canvas prints I've had done recommend 150dpi.
Anything higher will not be noticed due to the nature of the substrate.
So you can get away with quite a bit larger canvas print than you might on glossy paper.
03-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending on the canvas, even less may be fine. We have a canvas print of a 12M file, 120cm wide, on our wall and it still looks great (dynamic range was more of a problem before switching to a K-5).
03-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have printed 20x30 from a 16MP K-30 and it looks great. Most people are going to stand back a little when viewing a large print so i doubt most people would even be capable of seeing any loss of resolution. Having a good clean sharp image to begin with like others have stated will have a big impact on the result since you will be enlarging any flaws as well.
03-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
most canvas prints I've had done recommend 150dpi.
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Depending on the canvas, even less may be fine.
Indeed! Canvas is to fine printing as a hurricane is to sailing.

Steve
03-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would forget most of the practical advice about dots and pixels*. I only have two limits to printing big. One is taking a good enough shot to print. The other is the cost of the frame. The first one is the most important by far. It has to be a good image. I don't want to have to make large adjustments to the exposure, just changes to make the print work. For example, I have to make shadows in night shots a lot brighter than I would for screen viewing. Recent sensors can have much more dynamic range than printer inks. I usually know I'm taking a shot that could make a good print and hoping I haven't botched it. I never have taken a casual shot and processed it into a great print later with Photoshop magic. I try to only crop to fit the aspect ratio of a frame, not much more. You'll find that most traditional frame sizes are more square than the 2x3 aspect ratio of the sensor. Lots of my prints are 20x30 because I don't want to lose any part of the original shot.

*Not that anyone is wrong about technical advice - I just think it can be an unnecessary obstacle. I have printed lots of things just to find out how they looked as a print. I have framed all of them except the night shots that were too dark - I brightened them and reprinted those.

I think if you have a good shot and haven't had to fake most of it in processing, 16 megapixels are more than enough up to 24x36 inches, the biggest I have printed so far. If the image is good enough, most people will not walk right up to it and start commenting on individual pixels. They should say "wow" from a few feet away.

You should also avoid talking about pixels or any other technical detail of the print when you show it off. Don't volunteer anything at all about mistakes, flaws, flare, "just a cheap kit lens" or whatever. What people will hear will simply detract from the viewing experience.