Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Lenses for the Pentax K50

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to photography, and was looking to expand my lens collection to something more than the kit 18-55mm lens that came with the K50. I am open to any recommendations, however I enjoy photography different nature scenes, along with buildings and various structures. I am particularly interested in a telescopic lens of some sort, and one that is not more than $500, as I don't have a large budget. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

03-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new DA 55-300mm PLM is an excellent choice as a telephoto lens, and it has the fastest AF of any Pentax lens:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

You could also upgrade the 18-55mm to an 18-135mm for added convenience and silent AF, or get a prime such as the DA 35mm F2.4 or DA 50mm F1.8 for better bokeh control and sharper images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want a longer lens, a version of the 55-300 ought to be a pretty good start, and will give you a good idea of the focal lengths you still don't have.
03-21-2017, 03:13 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my own adventure with my K-50 and looking for lenses:

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

be careful of cracking open the LBA case; it'll become an obsession....

03-21-2017, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
be careful of cracking open the LBA case; it'll become an obsession....
Tell me about it - bought 40mm Pentax pancake last week, now can't afford food till pension day (a week away !). Doc says I'm overweight, anyway, and I still have stocks of beer . . . .

BTW, please don't mention selling lenses - I buy them for purely altruistic reasons, to prevent them falling into the hands of people who might not treat them correctly.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-21-2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Second thoughts !!
03-21-2017, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

may I suggest some research might be in order

here are some threads to start with

I would start with no. 1, it could help you narrow your search, 2 is concentrated on pentax, 3 is third party brands and 4 is in depth review of some lenses

1 Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

2 Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

3 Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

4 Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews

grab your favorite beverage and something for your notes

there will be no test, there are no right or wrong answers

ask us questions

remember that if properly researched and if it is in good shape (?) a used lens might be "the ticket"

check out the market place when shopping

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/

(no I am not a seller there, I did find 2 good deals there)

BTW, we have other members from Canada on the forum check them out

Ain't this forum great???

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 06:48 AM.
03-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It would be helpful if you could tell us where you want to go from your 18-55mm lens. Are you looking for faster prime (fixed focal length) lenses or are you looking for greater reach from a longer zoom lens? Where do you most feel you are limited by the capabilities of your existing lens? Answering these questions would help you and us better understand your needs/wants.

03-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Questions:

New or used?

Fair weather or foul? If you want to take your rig out in light rain/drizzle, you're going to want WR lenses and this will in itself limit your choices (not a bad thing, sometimes).

Urban or rural? If you're in the big city, or for certain nature applications, a wider field of view can be a good thing. Adam, above, recommended the 18-135mm - I have it and it's a good lens, but if you are in a major urban centre and/or you find the 18mm end of your 18-55 not quite wide enough, then you may want to consider the 16-85mm zoom instead.

One of the various incarnations of the 55-300 would not be a bad start, however (be aware that the oldest of these - discontinued & only available used - is NOT weather resistant & should probably be avoided if you are at all considering heavy outdoor use). That would give you a very broad range of available focal lengths, and perusal of your pictures' EXIF data after a year or two's shooting would show you where most of your shots are clustering. Then if you are really serious about buying specific lenses (e.g. telephoto prime, fast portrait lens) for specific applications, you will have a much better idea of exactly what to zero in on and where further money is best spent.
03-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Questions:

New or used?

Fair weather or foul? If you want to take your rig out in light rain/drizzle, you're going to want WR lenses and this will in itself limit your choices (not a bad thing, sometimes). . . .
Remember there were/are ways to use cameras in the damp before WR, some times those are adequate as opposed to the costs of WR

I have WR and non WR lenses along with "protective" gear to help in the damp and dust when I use the non WR lenses