Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

Vignetting in K20D viewfinder

I have just acquired a K20D. When I look through the viewfinder I see a vignette with a circular central image and black border all around. I see this with the 18-55mm lens without a hood, and also with 35mm format lenses. Thinking it might be an in-camera effect, I have looked through the menu and the manual for a way to turn it off, but to no avail.This effect is not visible on images in playback. Can anybody make any useful suggestions?

03-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums.

Is there, by chance, a viewfinder magnifying eye-piece fitted? Some of those can create the circular viewfinder image you describe. I would try removing the eye-piece and see if that solves the problem. Do let us know?
03-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmm... The camera may be be missing the focusing screen.

With the lens off and looking into the camera at the mirror, does the mirror reflect a milky-frosted surface or is there more of a clear glass view of what ever the eye piece is pointed at?
03-26-2017, 02:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums.

Is there, by chance, a viewfinder magnifying eye-piece fitted? Some of those can create the circular viewfinder image you describe. I would try removing the eye-piece and see if that solves the problem. Do let us know?
Hi. I cannot find a magnifying eyepiece. There is a rubber eye cushion, but the vignette is there with or without it.

03-26-2017, 02:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Hmm... The camera may be be missing the focusing screen.

With the lens off and looking into the camera at the mirror, does the mirror reflect a milky-frosted surface or is there more of a clear glass view of what ever the eye piece is pointed at?
Hi. Looking in through the lens mount you can see a clear rectangular image of what the eyepiece is pointed at.
03-26-2017, 03:15 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With the lens removed, looking inside the mirror box, it should look a little like this (photo is of my K-5, but it should be similar)...
Attached Images

03-26-2017, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I have looked in through the lens mount, and it does indeed look as if the focussing screen is missing. I have done the same with my K-X, and the screen is clearly visible, but not on the K20D.
I have already ordered a screen off eBay.
Thank you to all of you for your help.