Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

SD card issues

Hello!
I am new to the forums, so I haven't looked around much, but I am having a very frustrating issue and was hoping for some help.

I just got home from a trip to visit my in-laws in Utah. One of our day trips was to observe two herds of mustangs, one of the top items of my bucket list! That night I stuck my SD card into my laptop and was able to quickly breeze through them. Stupid me, I didn't transfer them to my laptop at the time because I was rushed. I disconnected correctly, and didn't try again until now. Got home, tried to transfer the files, and when I would insert the SD card, my computer doesn't freeze up completely, but will get very laggy and will not open the files. There are about 1000 pictures on this SD card and I am extremely upset I can't seem to access them.

I've tried to access them through windows explorer, through the devices, and a few other ways. I double checked that I have the correct drivers installed, and I do.

I shot the pictures with my K-r, the SD card is a new SanDisk Extreme 90 MB/s 32 G, and I have tried directly inserting the card into two desktop computers, my Microsoft surface with a USB reader, and my husband's work laptop. I have also tried connecting the camera with SD card inserted to all of these devices with no success. Oddly enough, my camera can read the card just fine, and they are all JPEG files. I tried to access the pictures with the SD removed from my camera in case I saved it to the camera itself, no success.

I also used my older 16 G SD card during our trip, and it works just fine in all ways I tried with the new SD. I'm fairly confident that it's an issues with the SD card itself. Short of sending it somewhere for data recovery, is there any other tricks that I could try. Or, does anybody have a suggested place I should try for data recovery?

Thank you in advance, and I hope your day has been less frustrating than mine!

03-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SparklersOasis Quote
Hello!
I am new to the forums, so I haven't looked around much, but I am having a very frustrating issue and was hoping for some help.

I just got home from a trip to visit my in-laws in Utah. One of our day trips was to observe two herds of mustangs, one of the top items of my bucket list! That night I stuck my SD card into my laptop and was able to quickly breeze through them. Stupid me, I didn't transfer them to my laptop at the time because I was rushed. I disconnected correctly, and didn't try again until now. Got home, tried to transfer the files, and when I would insert the SD card, my computer doesn't freeze up completely, but will get very laggy and will not open the files. There are about 1000 pictures on this SD card and I am extremely upset I can't seem to access them.

I've tried to access them through windows explorer, through the devices, and a few other ways. I double checked that I have the correct drivers installed, and I do.

I shot the pictures with my K-r, the SD card is a new SanDisk Extreme 90 MB/s 32 G, and I have tried directly inserting the card into two desktop computers, my Microsoft surface with a USB reader, and my husband's work laptop. I have also tried connecting the camera with SD card inserted to all of these devices with no success. Oddly enough, my camera can read the card just fine, and they are all JPEG files. I tried to access the pictures with the SD removed from my camera in case I saved it to the camera itself, no success.

I also used my older 16 G SD card during our trip, and it works just fine in all ways I tried with the new SD. I'm fairly confident that it's an issues with the SD card itself. Short of sending it somewhere for data recovery, is there any other tricks that I could try. Or, does anybody have a suggested place I should try for data recovery?

Thank you in advance, and I hope your day has been less frustrating than mine!
If there's a problem with the card you can go to the SanDisk website and try recovery using the Rescue Pro software. You may have a code in the sd card package for using it however if that is long gone they do have a free trial period. Before you go down that path though check that the sd card is not locked. There's a sliding switch on the side of the card and if that's in the wrong position just move it to the unlock position and try again in the computer. Hopefully that's all that's needed to access your images.

Tas
03-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
If there's a problem with the card you can go to the SanDisk website and try recovery using the Rescue Pro software. You may have a code in the sd card package for using it however if that is long gone they do have a free trial period. Before you go down that path though check that the sd card is not locked. There's a sliding switch on the side of the card and if that's in the wrong position just move it to the unlock position and try again in the computer. Hopefully that's all that's needed to access your images.

Tas
I wish it was just the lock. When I checked, it was in the unlock position but I tried locking it on the off chance the toggle was wrong. No such luck.

Thank you for the info on the SanDisk website, I'll give it a try!

Ash
03-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by SparklersOasis Quote
I wish it was just the lock. When I checked, it was in the unlock position but I tried locking it on the off chance the toggle was wrong. No such luck.

Thank you for the info on the SanDisk website, I'll give it a try!

Ash
Did you rename the folder or files? If so return name of folder and files back to their original name/s. Try that

03-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You did format the card in camera before using didn't you? If not that could be a problem. But initially you said you could see them on the laptop, was it at full size or just thumbnails? The camera writes two photos to the card, one is just a jpg thumbnail. Several years ago I forgot to format a card before putting it in my K20D, most of the photos were corrupted. Good luck, hopefully you can download the photos.
03-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I shot a bunch of pictures with my Samsung GX-20 (K20D clone) at the Virginia Transportation Museum and none of them saved to the card, which I had neglected to format in the camera. Once I took that step, the card worked flawlessly. Live and learn, I guess.
03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What type of SD card is it? SDHC, SDXC? The fact that you could see the images makes me wonder if you have a driver issue?

03-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What OS are you using? If windows 7 and higher first time you inserted the card in your laptop windows will try to index the card and that might create the problems later if card was not formatted prior shooing in camera. Usually when I had such problems when windows attempts again to index the card it can freeze but if I used Total Commander software (does not index the card, just pure read) and then I copy them on the hard drive (do not attempt to move the files, just copy them always even in windows explorer). Usually it does the trick.

You can try also to just insert the card and in windows explorer disable the thumbnails and let the PC index the card (running green bar at the top) and when it is finished or run to the end (it can take time) then select all files in the card (CTRL+A) then copy them (CTRL+C). Afterwords you can navigate to proper folder and then insert/paste them (CTRL+V), but I think that Total Commander will work.

Hope this helps.
03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't you use the USB connection to the camera with its card inside?
03-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for bad english in advance. I had exactly the same problem two weeks ago with the same sd brand .
My problem was that the sd changed the sistema files from Fat 32 to RAW. I was able to see pictures on the camera LCD but I cant send to computer in anyway.
A friend suggested a SD quick formatt and then try to recovery trough some recovery software as recuva photo recovery or similar obviobsly without rewrite the Sd. Unfortunally it didn' t work for me.
you can see if it is the same problem with Right click on your pc main button , then go to disk administrator , then see if you can see your sd with apropiatted size arround 29 G BUT sistem file RAW instead FAT 32 or NTFS , this was the problem in my SD and I dare is the problem in your Sd.
I discovered there are some software to solve this problems , to late for me, put convierter RAW in fat 32 in google , I think one to them was called minitool... .
03-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sorry to hear about your problem.
I usually use Pandora recovery when all hopes are lose. If you want to try it out, It is free. Windows 10 might tell you that it is a non-certified software and ask if you want to run it. Never mind those message. I has been using this software since windows7 and it never add a spyware / adware on my machine.

- Insert SD card into your PC and Open Pandora recover after the installation, and it will scan your computer.
- When it done scanning, select “Lunch wizard…” under “Tools” menu tap up top and follow the guideline.
- Select “No, I did not find my files” and select Next.
- you should see your SD card listed in the select box. Select your SD card and click Next.
- Select “Browse: I want to browse the drive and review individual folder and files” (you can select another option too.) and click Next.
- When it done another scan. it will show you everything still on your SD card regardless of file being deleted, damaged or hidden. Select directory or files you want to recover and go to File > Recover to…

It is no guarantee you will be able to recover anything but I accidentally format one of my photo hard drive think that I had it backup in another physical drive just to find out a few week later I didn't. I use Pandora recovery and it found more than 80-85% of my photo.

Good luck.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 03-27-2017 at 03:22 PM.
03-26-2017, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

into a k 3 with dual sd slot , is it posible transfer photo from one to another?
03-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have same problem with SanDisc SDHC-1 Ultra32GB.check some software SD card rescue on net (lots free options).If any will not work Find some paid option: Cardrecovery 40$ .